Control Stick Assy interference with Wing Spar Tunnel

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

Re: Control Stick Assy interference with Wing Spar Tunnel

Postby N111YX » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:18 am

Rodger, with regards to more aft stick positioning, I find that things begin to get tight near the full aft travel of the stick because of the friction of the stick boot and the (factory) upholstery. Also, with near full aft stick travel let's just say that you are beginning to affect one's groin area. You don't have much aft travel to work with. It's always an interesting preflight brief with passengers (especially women) when I bring the stick back to ensure total my total pitch range...!
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby RodgerC » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:34 am

Kip...There is a line there about coming up with a new "pitch" when carrying lady passengers, but I'm unsure if it translates from Aussie english into your American version of the language...In any case, I've just spent a couple of hours with the LAME who is acting as my technical adviser and he has convinced me to grind ~1/4" off the front of my sticks and horns, weld up the bolt holes in all components and redrill vertical of centre, then use clevis bolts with low profile metal lock nuts.

It would be sooo much easier if there was just more clearance tolerance built into the control frame weldment but I'll end up with a good solution and what's another 8 hours of build time in the scheme of things anyway.
RodgerC

Postby Andy Walker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:17 am

RodgerC wrote:I have some sympathy for Kerry as he must receive many email enquiries from builders who haven't thought through their issues, so I'll let it slide and shorten the idler to mixer pushrod and inch or so, after I confirm that I'll still achieve full control travel, albeit with the stick an inch further back in my lap than standard.
Thanks for your interest...Onward and upward

Oh I agree...I have bothered Kerry with more trivia that any human should have to endure! But I have gotten my share of terse boilerplate "the plans are correct" responses too. Those are frustrating when you are troubleshooting.

Good luck with the pushrod alterations; let us know how it turns out!
Andy Walker

Postby phenry » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:42 pm

I felt that the clearance was always going to be a problem and the eventually the bolt securing the joy stick would flog out and become loose was I had the stick professionally welded. http://sonexaus.wikispaces.com/Peter+Henry%27s+Aerovee+Waiex
Peter Henry
W#149
phenry

Previous

Return to Waiex