Flap deployment muscle

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

Flap deployment muscle

Postby scotttro » Tue May 14, 2019 5:31 pm

I'm coming up on starting the forward fuselage, and I've been thinking about the flap handle. For folks that have some time in the type, how much muscle does it take to deploy the flaps? I'm thinking of shortening the handle a bit, or repositioning it in such a way as I'd lose some mechanical advantage.

Thanks,
Scott
scotttro

Re: Flap deployment muscle

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue May 14, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi all,
first notch ok, second wow better have eat your wheeties in the am. 3 rd notch better install electric flaps. Just sayin! Flying since 2013.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby DCASonex » Wed May 15, 2019 8:39 am

I concur with Michael's comment on this. Converted mine to electric flaps after first couple of flights. Each time reached for flap lever, looked like i must have been playing with a yo-yo in the pattern. Can add flaps at any point in landing without getting out of shape. Several accidents in Sonex that looked survivable, but pilot had head injuries. With electric flaps, (and toe brakes) can keep those shoulder belts tight. With flap switch next to throttle, can keep one hand on throttle and one on stick through entire landing. And with throttle (dual in mine) in lower corner(s) of panel, the trim lever can be tweaked without removing hand from throttle.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Jlogan1 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:10 am

im doing my phase one now 9.8 on the hobbs and havent been able to pull full flaps yet. first notch isnt bad. The only time i tried to pull full flaps on landing was a complete failure either i was to fast or i need to hit the gym. im sure it looked ridiculous from the ground.
Jlogan1

Postby sonex1374 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:14 pm

Full flaps can be really hard to pull at speeds above 80 mph. If you slow up before pulling the full flaps it will be significantly easier. Alternatively, the small flaps that come from the acro ailerons take less force to deploy. This makes it easy to add full flaps even at hi speeds (90+mph). Could be an attractive reason to go that route for those still considering which ailerons to build.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby andrewp » Wed May 15, 2019 3:14 pm

Hmmm ... it is true that there is more force on it and yes it is a lot easier if you slow down but I would have to say it has honestly never really bugged me. I have the physical form factor of young Bill Gates so I guess it should. It is amazing that I can get the canopy open. Anyway, you can feel the airload on it and I sort of like it. Electric in the 182 and I always have to look where the stupid thing to confirm its position (not comparable, but I kind of like the Sonex simplicity here). I don't have to have my belts loose to reach it, but it might be a shape and size of person thing.

Having said that, electric flaps are cool. I can respect both country and western.
andrewp

Postby sonex892. » Wed May 15, 2019 8:24 pm

I have standard flaps with three positions and have never had a problem operating the flap lever. The force required, does increase substantially with speed, which is like a built in safeguard against exceeding a reasonable flaps down speed. Also cant beat the simplicity of the standard arrangement.
I don't think I would consider shortening the handle. I wouldn't want any less leverage.
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby mike.smith » Thu May 16, 2019 12:04 am

sonex892. wrote:I have standard flaps with three positions and have never had a problem operating the flap lever. The force required, does increase substantially with speed, which is like a built in safeguard against exceeding a reasonable flaps down speed. Also cant beat the simplicity of the standard arrangement.
I don't think I would consider shortening the handle. I wouldn't want any less leverage.

I agree on all points!
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby lpaaruule » Thu May 16, 2019 6:56 am

I have the acro flaps, so it really hasn't been an issue for me. I too agree that the force required to pull the flap handle is a nice reminder if you're a little faster than you should be. Also, having manual flaps allowed me to win a spot landing contest. As soon as I was over the spot, I took out the flaps.

I wouldn't want the handle and shorter than it is though. If you have to go-around, you'll want to be able to slowly retract the flaps. At that point, you'll be happy you have the longer handle.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Postby achesos » Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm

I'm jumping to the conclusion that I read between the lines here - you may or may not agree with the following:

- Apparently Sonex designed the flap handle 'correctly' so as to remind us that we might be too fast for full flap deployment... probably should not adjust the flap handle length.
- This warning can be easily ignored via the use of electric actuators...
- The resulting forces at the mounting points of these custom actuators were not calculated or engineered by Sonex, and therefore the complete responsibility of the builder implementing this alternate system. What I mean is, you could purchase and install an electric actuator that might have the capacity to deploy the flaps at Vne, but you might only be able to do it once?

My summary assessment then is that electric actuators are way-cool, envied by the manual lever guys (myself included) and easy to use, but should be implemented / used with some caution. Use your checklist. Fly safely. Go home to the one(s) you love.
Sonex N857SX
AeroVee, Taildragger, Dual Stick
achesos

Next

Return to Waiex