Trim system

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

Trim system

Postby Tony4aro » Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:22 pm

Hi All,

I have the Sonex dial-a-Trim system on my waiex. I'm still building it... and I installed the system to the plans. (Rear spring just snug full forward, and full up, the tab is about 1/4" from the cable housing) When in this configuration.... it seems like it's holding up elevator at mid travel. It almost seems like too much up trim is available. I know it's all new and tight, but I was wondering is someone could post where there elevator sits when it's on the ground, and if my description sounds right. I'm wiring my panel now... and I still have full access to all of it, if I need to adjust something.

Thanks
Corvair powered Waiex (under construction)
N3848D
W0181
Tony4aro

Re: Trim system

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:52 pm

On the ground, my stick will pretty much move full range when I crank my trim.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Tony4aro » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:19 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:On the ground, my stick will pretty much move full range when I crank my trim.

So.... full down trim is close to full forward stick, and full up trim is close to full back stick? If that's right... then I guess I'm in the right place. So... on a normal take off.... where is your trim?
N3848D
W0181
Tony4aro

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:12 pm

I usually trim for 80kts on takeoff. The Aerovee doesn't climb well at low speeds, plus it gets hot. So 4-5 turns forward of the aft trim stop for me. Depends on fuel and CG.

I put a little crank knob on mine. Highly recommended!

For a first flight you can either use my recommendation or put it in the middle. Even with trim set wrong forces are light.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Panther16 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:49 pm

I don’t think you need to worry about the trim until you do the weight and balance and find out where the cg is. I originally built my Sonex with the Aerrovee. After 80 hrs I converted to aJab 3300 due to performance issues. With the 3300 my cg is close to the fwd limit, about the base of the instrument panel. My dial a trim is adjusted so the elevator is about 1 in up from neutral at full nose down on the dial. Every thing you put in the a/c along with fuel burn moves the the cg aft. 4 turns up gives 70 on final and any from 3 -4 turns in cruise depending on speed. I suspect you may have the same issue if are using a corvair and don’t add some weight in the tail.
The only issue with the way it is adjusted is on a go around you need to take out 2 turns otherwise the stick force gets very hi holding the nose down.
Keith Rhode
Sonex 214KE
Panther16

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:54 pm

I agree that CG is a big effect on trim. Also here is a picture of the knob I put on my dial-a-trim.

Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby daleandee » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:16 pm

Panther16 wrote:Every thing you put in the a/c along with fuel burn moves the the cg aft. 4 turns up gives 70 on final and any from 3 -4 turns in cruise depending on speed. I suspect you may have the same issue if are using a corvair and don’t add some weight in the tail.

My Odyssey is in the tail of my Corvair powered taildragger for CG reasons. With full fuel and no baggage a single pilot needs to be at least 180 lbs. But there is no loading scenario (within reason) that takes the CG out of the rear limit.

I have the conventional tail on a Model-A with the original trim lever. At approach speeds with 20º flaps setting I can use full up trim and all is well. Using 30º flap on final causes the need for the slightest touch of back-stick pressure. Some have suggested a slightly larger trim tab but I stayed with the plans. Here's what it looks like:

daleandee

Postby Panther16 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:16 am

What happens if single pilot below 180? I would have to add 35lbs and I always try to start with full fuel.
Panther16

Postby Tony4aro » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:46 am

Panther16 wrote:I don’t think you need to worry about the trim until you do the weight and balance and find out where the cg is. I originally built my Sonex with the Aerrovee. After 80 hrs I converted to aJab 3300 due to performance issues. With the 3300 my cg is close to the fwd limit, about the base of the instrument panel. My dial a trim is adjusted so the elevator is about 1 in up from neutral at full nose down on the dial. Every thing you put in the a/c along with fuel burn moves the the cg aft. 4 turns up gives 70 on final and any from 3 -4 turns in cruise depending on speed. I suspect you may have the same issue if are using a corvair and don’t add some weight in the tail.
The only issue with the way it is adjusted is on a go around you need to take out 2 turns otherwise the stick force gets very hi holding the nose down.
Keith Rhode
Sonex 214KE

Thanks for the info on that.

I have the forbidden Corvair engine in mine.... but from my research, the 3300 really isn't much lighter once everything is added on. SO... it's a good match info wise.
N3848D
W0181
Tony4aro

Postby Tony4aro » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:46 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:I agree that CG is a big effect on trim. Also here is a picture of the knob I put on my dial-a-trim.

Cool. I may do that to mine also. Thanks for the pic.
N3848D
W0181
Tony4aro

Next

Return to Waiex