Cowling issues

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

Cowling issues

Postby Nick » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:46 pm

Can anyone with a legacy Waiex and a vertical split cowling please tell me the order of which you put hinges in and out. Thanks
Nick
Legacy Sonex Waiex 0179
Jabiru 3300 Gen1 Rotec WCH, EI, TBI
N908WX
Nick

Re: Cowling issues

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:20 pm

For the build, or remove and replace?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby WesRagle » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:19 pm

Hi Nick,

I don't recall the specific order. But I'm assuming you are having problems getting the pins that hold the halves together back in. If that's the case, what we did in the old days was to purchase some ss music wire that was a smaller diameter than the hinge pins and make new hing pins out of that. Made replacing the cowl much easier.

Good Luck,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:56 pm

My pins are stock, no issues.

Before I started flying, I used to wipe down my pins with silicone lubricant. For some reason I don't need to do that anymore. If you have an AeroVee you will discover why.

I do the right cowl first. I hang the cowl by getting the outboard 1/4 turn fastener in its hole. Then I put in the side pin, and sock down the three 1/4 turn fasteners. This is a good time to make sure the baffle seal is happy and in the right spot.

Next I do the same thing for the left cowl. Make sure the 1/4 turn fastener under the prop has the correct overlap. Before you sock down the three 1/4 turn fasteners check the baffle seal.

Put in the top pin. I usually have to grab the cowl inlets and get the hinge halves lined up first. Close the fuel door.

Sock down the 1/4 turn fastener under the prop.

Insert the bottom pin that runs along the bottom of the firewall.

Make sure the bottom center hinge halves are lined up. I usually persuade them at the top. I lay on my back with my head near the firewall and my feet under the prop. Hopefully you have already cleaned the hinge pin lubricant off the floor. I use one foot to push up on the cowl seam towards the prop. Easiest to have one foot on the ground, rest your calf on the other knee, and use the ball of your foot. Line up the hinge loops by the cowl opening and slide the pin home.

Install the landing gear fairings.

I can do it in 10 minutes.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Nick » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:51 pm

Thanks guys, by the way its a Jab 3300A. I was able to get all the pins in today. But I cut the Center Hinge to 30". I saw someone do that and added a latch where the rest of the hinge would go. Now I need to take apart and do the fiber glass for the 2 Southco latches. I got tired of moving hinges to make it easy. I'll be back to the hanger tomorrow Hopefully.. I will follow the order above and make sure everything goes smoothly. If it does then I'll proceed to fiber glassing and making the holes for the exhaust. I ordered a hinge and extra hinge pins from spruce. I noticed the hinge pin that comes with the hinge says .090 width. The pins I ordered says they are .089 width so I hope this will help, if there is a difference. Any and all comments, criticism, welcomed. Also especially cutting the 6 inches off and putting a Southco latch. Thank You all
Nick
Legacy Sonex Waiex 0179
Jabiru 3300 Gen1 Rotec WCH, EI, TBI
N908WX
Nick

Return to Waiex