Hi From Connecticut

Re: Hi From Connecticut

Postby DCASonex » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:10 pm

Thanks for the diet suggestions. Been looking to shed a few pounds in hopes of getting cholesterol down (have had problems with statins), and to leave room for the full 40 pounds of baggage.

Fortunately wife and I are about "Monnett" sized, and adding a dual axis auto pilot makes our Sonex TD a comfortable cross country aircraft when wanting to fly in that mode.

As to Zenith, Been there. Started a CH650 (601-XL) back in 2008. Mothballed when folding (in-flight) wing problem became known and sold, at big loss, when fix was announced. Zenith may be roomier, but No comparison in strength of design vs. Sonex.

David A
DCASonex

Postby Concorde » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:58 pm

DCASonex wrote:Thanks for the diet suggestions. Been looking to shed a few pounds in hopes of getting cholesterol down (have had problems with statins), and to leave room for the full 40 pounds of baggage.

Fortunately wife and I are about "Monnett" sized, and adding a dual axis auto pilot makes our Sonex TD a comfortable cross country aircraft when wanting to fly in that mode.

As to Zenith, Been there. Started a CH650 (601-XL) back in 2008. Mothballed when folding (in-flight) wing problem became known and sold, at big loss, when fix was announced. Zenith may be roomier, but No comparison in strength of design vs. Sonex.

David A

Hi David
I was thinking about buying CH. 650 ,I liked the look and the extra room but I just didn't feel comfortable so Bought the Sonex . I'm sure that Zenith is a fine aircraft and I know people that are very happy with their Zenith
Ben.
Ben
Sonex # 1684
Tri-Gear, Dual Control
Rotax 912uls
N379BS reserved.
Concorde

Postby reodds » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:24 pm

Thanks again everyone. Losing the excess weight has been a battle for some time. Perhaps this time the reason for doing so (to fit comfortably in the best Sport plane available!) might just be the answer.

We do fit ok in a 152 (actually an old 150), but the Sonex does seem a bit smaller. Maybe it's just perception, not actual measurements.

Anyway, I would like to build the Sonex. Does anyone know of a partially build plane that needs to be finished?

Thanks!

Roger
Roger Oppenheimer
Amelia Island, FL KFHB
Looking to buy a Sonex
reodds

Hi From Connecticut

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:46 pm

Roger

Barnstormers has several for sale. Just do your homework if you go that route! (You knew that)

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby fastj22 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:46 pm

reodds wrote:Thanks again everyone. Losing the excess weight has been a battle for some time. Perhaps this time the reason for doing so (to fit comfortably in the best Sport plane available!) might just be the answer.

We do fit ok in a 152 (actually an old 150), but the Sonex does seem a bit smaller. Maybe it's just perception, not actual measurements.

Anyway, I would like to build the Sonex. Does anyone know of a partially build plane that needs to be finished?

Thanks!

Roger

The C150 and Sonex are really similar in shoulder room. Tight. Its not a great XC plane for two people.
The fellow Jan you mentioned in your first post does offer a much grander Sonex, actually makes it look a lot more like a CH650. However, I heard he's put it on hold for at least a year, and I'd be surprised if it ever develops into a product.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby reodds » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:28 am

Thanks fastj22. Has anyone other than "Jan" widened a Sonex successfully?

Roger
Roger Oppenheimer
Amelia Island, FL KFHB
Looking to buy a Sonex
reodds

Postby fastj22 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:41 am

The way Jan widened it was he boosted the seat up about 8 inches putting your elbows on the longerons. this allows you to sit further outboard giving you a lot more shoulder space. He also replaced the side panels with bowed out sheets but left the structural longerons in place. It pushes your head up over the stock windscreen so a new canopy is in order.
Widening the fuselage during the build would be a major design undertaking and probably not worth the effort. Go for a CH650 or RV12 instead if the Sonex is too tight for you.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby reodds » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:04 am

Thanks again for your help and insight. I did not know how he did widen the plane, and you're correct it is a major design undertaking, and changes the entire "feel" of the Sonex - definitely not worth it.

As far as finding planes on Barnstormers, that is not what I want. I was hoping someone here knew of a partially completed project that need a new home, from a quality kind of guy... I just want to "jump start" the build a bit, I still want to build.
Roger Oppenheimer
Amelia Island, FL KFHB
Looking to buy a Sonex
reodds

Postby fastj22 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:25 am

There are plenty of partial builds on Barnstormers that popup. Some are really good deals but you gotta move quick. We (three sonex guys) just finished one up last weekend that was a tremendous deal. Of course we had to go through the entire plane and "correct" several things, but overall, it was a good deal. First flight in a few weeks weather permitting.

John Gillis
fastj22

Hi From Connecticut

Postby Sonex1517 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:00 pm

As of a few minutes ago there were two partially built kits listed on Barnstormers. One showed a $10k list price, the other a $6k list.

I am certain there are many out there. Locally in Chicagoland I am aware of at least one kit that sits basically untouched.

Keep looking and I would guess you will find the one you want.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions