Steering Sonex without toe break

Re: Steering Sonex without toe break

Postby DCASonex » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:31 am

Also built mine with toe brakes and have detailed drawings, (private e-mail me with your e-mail address if wanting those) but have flown another Sonex TD with brake lever on control stick that worked as well. My brakes are paired with an electric flap operator and panel mounted fuel shut off, that means all controls one might want during takeoff, flight, and landing, emergency or otherwise, can be reached with shoulder belts tight. May be other ways to accomplish this, but worth contemplating this as you build.

David A. Sonex TD #1327 CAMit 3300
DCASonex

Postby aferddaberts » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:43 am

Hello Mike 53'

The Forum is filled up with solutions and answeres to problems and questions, but I have to guess as to what the problem and question was. I read the Fourm every day in order to gain some information and/or tip that will help me as I work on my Waiex. Now today, your information regarding Toe Brakes really piqued my interest.
I am fast nearing the point where I will be installing the landing gear and Control System, I sure would like to know more about the toe break installation. Would be so kind as to let me know where I can gain this information.

Thanks. AL Roberts
aferddaberts

Postby aferddaberts » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:50 am

P.S.
Just noticed the info from David. Yes I would really appreciate those toe break drawings. My email address is (robieal2011@att.net).

Thanks again, AL Roberts
aferddaberts

Postby Mike53 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:47 pm

aferddaberts wrote:Hello Mike 53'

The Forum is filled up with solutions and answeres to problems and questions, but I have to guess as to what the problem and question was. I read the Fourm every day in order to gain some information and/or tip that will help me as I work on my Waiex. Now today, your information regarding Toe Brakes really piqued my interest.
I am fast nearing the point where I will be installing the landing gear and Control System, I sure would like to know more about the toe break installation. Would be so kind as to let me know where I can gain this information.

Thanks. AL Roberts

Hi Al.
Lots of info on the Matco site http://www.matcomfg.com/TechnicalSupport-tp2-14.html .I e-mailed them and sent them my drawings for their opinion and they were very helpful.I know some Sonex builders used Van's toe brakes with great success.
I am building a Onex and I believe our rudder pedals are different so the system I designed for mine won't work for your Waiex.
My first source for information was Tony Bingellis and I grew my knowledge from there with Matco Brakes help.
Good Luck.
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby DCASonex » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:35 am

Al,

I am sending you my files on my toe brakes.

Please note: If anyone wants to contact somebody on this site to give them your e-mail address, without broadcasting it to all on the site, you have the option of clicking on a sender's name and an option to send private e-mail will come up.

I had most all the files for modifications to my plane posted on the old Sonex Plans Yahoo forum, but because this new site has no way to store files, I have re-posted those, with some updates, to the Files section of the old Yahoo Sonex builder's forum. That its the one that predates the Sonex run, and now discontinued Yahoo forums. Folder name is: Modifications to Sonex #1327.
DCASonex

Postby andrewp » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:02 am

I used Van's toe breaks and some clever welding from the Tech Advisor. I have been very happy with them.
andrewp

Previous

Return to Introductions