New (old) Sonex project acquired

Postby fastrichard » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:15 am

Travelled out to Rapid City SD labor day weekend to pick up partially built Sonex #138 and brought it home to Minnesota. It seems to have been in storage for quite some time, but quite a bit of work has been completed. The existing work seems to be of good quality, but I need to inspect more closely for any corrosion issues. The fuselage structure is mostly done and on tricycle gear. The tail and control surfaces are done. The wings have not been started although the ribs have been formed. Next step is probably to set up a nice flat surface for wing spar and wing construction.

While I have a fair amount of relevant experience as a machinist and aircraft mechanic, I've never built an aircraft before and don't have all that much experience with such thin and lightweight structures. I expect to learn a lot before I am done.
fastrichard

Re: New (old) Sonex project acquired

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:23 am

What part of Minnesota? My in-laws live near Rochester.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Gmoney » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:25 pm

Sounds like an amazing project. Keep us up to date on your build. If you haven’t already. EAA’s builders log has been an amazing help for me. I love looking at all the planes being built across the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gmoney

Postby fastrichard » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:30 pm

I live in a northern suburb of Minneapolis, near Anoka County Airport (KANE). I have recently been working on getting current and doing a biennial flight review at Osceola Wisconsin. At some point I will need to find a way to check out in something closer to Sonex flight characteristics, but that won't be a concern a while.
fastrichard

Postby nwawingman » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:55 pm

Brings back great memories of my project when I trailered the pieces home from Texas. I was the 4th owner of Sonex kit 367. Check out my kitlog site as I tried to figure out where to start working. Just find something that was started and locate the the section in the plans and finish that part. Just keep checking off the boxes that are already completed as you confirm and you will be flying before you know it. Wish you the best with your new Sonex!
Rick Wantz - Arkansas
Sonex 367 T/W AeroVee/Aeroinjector - Prince Elliptical Prop <361hrs
1st Flight 7/13 KOSHX3 Young EaglesX14
http://www.mykitlog.com/wingman
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2TNLK ... A63FvnPkNA
nwawingman

Return to Introductions