New to Sonex flying

New to Sonex flying

Postby jonathan6229 » Wed May 31, 2023 11:57 am

So, I have a friend that needs a sonex moved, and has no one else to do it. If a reasonably competent pilot could fly an RV-6 without bending it on landing, What are the odds I could do the same in a sonex? I know the ideal would be for me to get 25 hours of dual, but that doesn't seem doable at the moment. (or ever, as hard as it is to find sonex training) How hard is it to land? what all did you guys do before you flew yours?
Last edited by jonathan6229 on Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan6229

Re: New to Sonex slying

Postby austexaviator » Wed May 31, 2023 12:36 pm

I bought mine about a year ago. at the time I was a 600hr private with Instrument and 3 hrs tailwheel. The insurance company wanted me to have 10 hours with a flight instructor who had at least 25 hrs in a Sonex. Unable to find one. When it was time to pick up my plane I flew for one hour with an instructor that the seller organized. I felt comfortable after that hour to just fly it home. After I had 13 hrs and 50 landings in it I called the insurance company again and they insured me just fine.
I had about 50 hours in an RV-12 and about 20 hours in a Rans S6 so I was used to the light touch of a Sonex. I would consider the Sonex easy and predictable to fly.
Patrick
Tailwheel Sonex Model A Jabiru 3300
austexaviator

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed May 31, 2023 12:53 pm

Before I flew mine, I did 3 hours in a Cessna C140. Hadn't flown in 9 years. Then I flew it. If you didn't have time in an airplane with light controls it would be a bad idea. The RV6 is probably a good warmup although I've not flown one. Which engine? An Aerovee won't have the performance of the RV6 that you probably take for granted.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Arjay » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:27 pm

I bought my Aerovee powered sonex in 2014. At the time I had maybe 400 hours total time, about 1/2 of it in taildraggers, including baby lakes, Pitts, citabria, cub and various other commercial planes. With no checkout or instruction in the sonex, my first flight was to bring it 200 miles home. My first landing was probably the best one I ever made. The sonex is an easy honest airplane to take off, fly and land. Just remember the controls are sensitive and quick — be gentle. Take off from the 3 point position. Approach at about 65 mph or slower (slower is better), try to set it down in the same position as take off, remember your sight picture while taxiing and take off— try to get the same picture landing. If you are a competent pilot in any other taildragger you should have no problem with the Sonex.
Ron
Aerovee powered legacy Sonex taildragger.
Arjay

Postby BRS » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:29 pm

What helped me transition into the sonex was a few hours glider flying years back. Ones that I flew all seemed to be rather pitch sensitive which taught me a good skill set. The other was various tail wheel time in light aircraft. On my first flight, the MGL display rebooted thus I ended up landing w/o airspeed or alimeter (or any thing else). I felt the sonex responded well to 'seat-of-the-pants' type flying.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:17 pm

I wouldn't expect you to have any issues. The first flight of my Onex was the first Sonex I ever flew, and everyone pretty much said it was like a lower powered RV-3. I have plenty of time in RV-3B's and RV-8's, and the Onex seemed pretty natural to me.
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby sonex1084 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:08 pm

After I completed my Sonex and got my airworthiness certificate, I stared at my plane and said, "It's just an airplane. Go fly it". I had yet to have any transition training. As hard as it was to wait, I found a Waiex owner to teach me to fly it. After my first flight, I thanked God I did not Jump in the airplane and take off without familiarization. I would have crashed it. I read other pilot's stories who had no difficulty getting in the airplane without transition training and flying it successfully. I read other stories of second owners who did not fair so well. Please find someone who can take you up at least once. From that you can decide if you need more time.

Matt
Matt McKee
Sgt USMC
SGT Raleigh Police Dept
FO GoJet Airlines
Retired Old Man
Sonex 1084
sonex1084

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:30 pm

BRS wrote:What helped me transition into the sonex was a few hours glider flying years back. Ones that I flew all seemed to be rather pitch sensitive which taught me a good skill set. The other was various tail wheel time in light aircraft. On my first flight, the MGL display rebooted thus I ended up landing w/o airspeed or alimeter (or any thing else). I felt the sonex responded well to 'seat-of-the-pants' type flying.

Glider skills help everything! Except maybe helicopter flying.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby jonathan6229 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:18 pm

sonex1084 wrote:After I completed my Sonex and got my airworthiness certificate, I stared at my plane and said, "It's just an airplane. Go fly it". I had yet to have any transition training. As hard as it was to wait, I found a Waiex owner to teach me to fly it. After my first flight, I thanked God I did not Jump in the airplane and take off without familiarization. I would have crashed it. I read other pilot's stories who had no difficulty getting in the airplane without transition training and flying it successfully. I read other stories of second owners who did not fair so well. Please find someone who can take you up at least once. From that you can decide if you need more time.

Matt

I mean, I'd be willing to travel most anywhere in western US if someone want to take me up. It'd be way more comfortable to know some of what to expect out of the plane. This one is powered by a 80HP aerovee. I'm in Seattle, and can travel pretty easily, if someone wants to take the time to give me a ride.
jonathan6229

Re: New to Sonex flying

Postby Onex107 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:36 am

I flew a C-150 for 15 - 20 years and built the Onex before I sold the Cessna. I had a ride in the right seat of a Sonex sone time before the first flight. Not much help. I flew the Onex the first time with no problems. The big difference, and a surprise, was the light control. I didn't realize how heavy the Cessna controls were. During the Onex takeoff the plane leaped off the ground due to my overcontrol. During the rest of the flight, it flew the same as the 150, with the exception of airspeed, which was 15 mph faster. But the approach to landing was very similar to the 150. Fly the same pattern, 100 downwind, 80 base, 70 final, and land at 50.
Flaps are your choice. Half flaps give more ground effect and longer float. Full flaps give shorter landings and less float. The first couple of landings the tail skid touched first. I was flairing too nose high. That makes a lot of noise.
After 100 hours in the Onex I flew the 150 again before I sold it. And the wheel felt like I was flying the B-17, of which I have 15 minutes in my log book. I put 350 hours on the Onex before retiring from flying. It's a sensitive, wonderful, flying machine. If I was 20 years younger, I'd do it again.
Onex 107, 91 years and counting.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Return to Introductions