18yo Sonex owner

18yo Sonex owner

Postby Bluth125 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:49 pm

Hello you all! I am a high school student and student pilot based in the phoenix area. I have been around aviation my whole life with my family and wanted to try something different from Cessnas and pipers, but without the extra cost as my budget is not the biggest. I recently purchased a Sonex(N629HD) and am going to try getting it up and going as soon as possible. It has flown before but has been sitting for about a year and a half. I am in the process of adding to the panel, rewiring messy harnesses, and getting worn items replaced. I hope to have it ready to fly and have my private pilot in the next month or so, but that’s probably a bit optimistic:)

Bryton
Attachments
IMG_4008.jpeg
N629HD
Bluth125

Re: 18yo Sonex owner

Postby BRS » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:45 pm

Welcome aboard Bryton!
I believe there are some other Sonex owners (probably several) who live in the Phoenix area. Hopefully you can find someone in the area to mentor you a bit in the brand.

Regards,
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Scott Todd » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:01 pm

Bryton and I met about week ago at my hanger. He found me thru local EAA chapters. He is young but VERY enthusiastic :) I flew my Onex out to Bryton's hangar this morning to check out his project. Its a nice simple build. No lights and a very basic panel. In the purchase he got a new transponder and COM radio but they are not installed. It appears it was flown with a handheld. Its in good condition and the Jab 3300 install looks pretty good. He is waiting on the prop to come back from Sensenich. I think his wiring and avionics will come along quick. If anyone has an extra prop he could buy or borrow until his comes back, it would speed him along. We'll get it flying soon and I'll get him all checked out in it.

Welcome to the family Bryton :)
Scott Todd

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:08 pm

Looks great Bryton! Congrats. Light and simple, that should be a rocketship.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby BobDz » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:26 am

Welcome to the club.
We need more enthusiastic 18 year olds!!
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Return to Introductions