XC vlog from Illinois to Maine!

Tell about and show off the best photos from your cross country trips

Re: XC vlog from Illinois to Maine!

Postby GordonTurner » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:59 am

Like you said Chris, open to interpretation. If the secondary ignition is only there as a backup and with it off the battery will charge, then the generator is adequate. Similarly, the wording under night says source of electrical energy, so that would include the battery which should generally be adequate to power through an abnormal situation, and/or take up the extra load for non-continuous loads like flap extension or landing light use for landing. This isn’t Part 23, so the interpretation is up to the experimenter.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby WaiexB22 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:28 am

Just watched and enjoyed your video. Great work. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Robert
Waiex-B 0022
Yamaha Apex
Building
WaiexB22

Postby tps8903 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:58 am

GordonTurner wrote:Like you said Chris, open to interpretation. If the secondary ignition is only there as a backup and with it off the battery will charge, then the generator is adequate. Similarly, the wording under night says source of electrical energy, so that would include the battery which should generally be adequate to power through an abnormal situation, and/or take up the extra load for non-continuous loads like flap extension or landing light use for landing. This isn’t Part 23, so the interpretation is up to the experimenter.

IFR is still regulated in Homebuilts by virtue of your flight limitation on your Airworhiness Certificate to wit:

“After completion of phase I flight testing, unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with § 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only.”

Regardless of legality, it's a poor decision to purposefully reduce redundancy of critical systems like ignition in IMC flight. It's also critical that you make sure you have enough electrical power to maintain your systems and are able to charge your battery.

I'm not attempting to be a huge nay sayer, I am usually anything but.....I just think people need to VERY strongly consider the dangers of IMC flight in a marginally equipped airplane. By all means, it's your plane, and a free(ish) country. So have at 'er.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby mike.smith » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:31 pm

I wasn't advocating running with the secondary ignition in IMC. In fact, you couldn't pay me enough to fly a Sonex IMC. It's a neutrally stable aircraft to start with, which means you need to fly it all the time. And if you've ever been in visible moisture/rain in a Sonex, you'll know why it's a VFR aircraft. The canopy leaks like a sieve! I think IFR training and practice in VMC would be just fine, but like others have said, I'd seriously think about the implications of flying a Sonex in actual IMC. Just my opinion.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:03 pm

Single pilot, I can't modify the navigation on my phone or look up a frequency without departing S&L. Sure, an autopilot would fix that, but now you are adding weight, electrical load, and cost. I really like the Waiex for what it is, and would get something else rather than change it into something that it was not meant to be.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Previous

Return to Trip reports