OSH practice trip

Tell about and show off the best photos from your cross country trips

OSH practice trip

Postby fastj22 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:27 pm

My son came home from college this weekend and weather looked good, so last night we decided to fly the first leg of our planned AirVenture trek this morning. A dry run as it were. The actual trip will be around 6 hours and three planned stops.

Wheels up at 7AM (90 minutes later than our planned OSH departure) from KFLY (Falcon, CO) to KLXN (Lexington, NB). 2 hours of the most uninspiring landscape later, we touch down at the lowest altitude my Waiex as yet seen 2400ft. It was already hot and muggy there and it was only 9:30. Nice clean unattended FBO, we topped off at the self serve. Even with the 90 degree temp, the Jab had more power then I ever felt with her on take off. Next stop, Goodland KS for some pie. An hour southwest. It was 95 when we touched down and we only used the facilities and skipped the pie then jumped back in to get back to the high country. Climb out was slow to keep CHTs in check. The air was getting pretty active and some cotton balls forming above us. We pulled into the pattern at KFLY with 45 minutes of fuel remaining and a DA over 10,000ft. Almost at max aft CG and I bounced down the runway like Tigger. 4.7 hours total time and burned about 22 gallons of fuel. Plane ran great, no burps, a couple of minor squawks to address.
Here is our take away.
1) Two adults in a Sonex for 4 hours is a family affair. You must be close.
2) There is zero room for anything more than the bare essentials. I carried my tiedowns, tool kit, some food and water.
3) Our body range is 2 hours. The fuel may take us further, but we needed to get out and stretch. My decision of installing extended range tanks is now complete. There is no need.
4) Flying near gross in really hot weather is a challenge to climb and keep CHTs and oil temps in check. We had to balance climb with airspeed. Start to climb and the CHTs would spike, build airspeed to cool them off, then climb again.
5) I need better padding for the seats. I got my eye on a memory foam pillow in the guest room that just might work great.
6) We are sending our camping gear with a friend who is driving out to AV this year. I think we will only take what we had in the plane today with us. If we get pinned down somewhere, we will just live off the credit card.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Re: OSH practice trip

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:33 pm

Glad to hear the "trial run" went well for you both! Do you have an approximate time you're going to try to make the real journey? I would think you could easily make it in a day if you wanted, but as you've found out, it may be a long day!

Hope to see you at OSH!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby fastj22 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:17 pm

Our plan now is to leave right before dawn on Sunday, July 27th. Barring any delays, we might make it for the end of the Sonex Reunion. If not, we will just park at the booth and find our friends in Scholler. Of course, that assumes perfect weather. Its not really far enough to break it into two days.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby planeolbob » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:31 am

It sounds like you will have a great adventure in the making.
On the foam. I have the pink (soft) foam as a cushion and the medium foam as the upolhistory. I should have gone with the stiff and medium as after a while in the air everything flattens out. Wicks and several other venders sell 2x2 sheets of the stuff at OSH. You might want to buy some.
Bob
planeolbob

Postby fastj22 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:32 pm

Came across this on the Pietenpol Forum. Thought it applied well to my upcoming trip.
Edited to make it more AV/Sonex relevant.

Let's see how flying to Oshkosh is like having a baby.

The first trimester, everything is great. You feel fresh and rosy, a certain spring in your step, you look just like you did before and all your clothes fit like they always did. The cockpit is a perfect fit and everything is just like you planned it. You are excited about the prospect of what lies ahead. This is your first leg on the big trip to Air Venture.

The second trimester, you start to feel and look different. You have some lower back pain, you get tired earlier in the day, some of your clothes start to feel tight here and there, your underwear chafe and your headset rubs. Your appetite is off, sleep is a bit restless, you have to pee more often, and you get cranky sometimes. You worry about the airplane but everything seems to be rocking along and now the thought of getting there is more important than the flight. This is leg two of the big trip to Oshkosh.

The final trimester, you just want to be there and be done with it. Climbing in and out of the cockpit is awkward and you grunt and groan every time you have to do it. Your back is sore, your butt is sore, you can't seem to get comfortable no matter how you wiggle around in your seat.� You are snippy with line-boys, don't want anybody to take pictures when you taxi to the pumps anymore. You have to pee all the time. None of your clothes fit, everything is uncomfortable, and you're thinking maybe this whole thing was a mistake. This is leg three of the big trip to OSH and it seems like it will never end.

Then you see the airfield ahead. Pre-landing checklist; sit up straight; set altimeter, check traffic, breathe... breathe... breathe. Focus, this is the last push. Downwind, base, final... you're on the ground! Your baby has arrived and you brought it here. A bit dirty what with oil mist streaks and bugs here and there, candy wrappers and empty water bottles in the cockpit, headset and wires tangled around things, but you'll clean it up and it will be just fine. You're finally there and people are gathering around you and the airplane to see what you've got. And you've got the prettiest baby in the world.

Your back is still sore, your butt is still sore, you REALLY have to pee... but you made it to AirVenture! :D

John Gillis
fastj22

Return to Trip reports