Turbo to Sebring

Tell about and show off the best photos from your cross country trips

Turbo to Sebring

Postby Sonerai13 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:22 pm

Hey Gang,

I saw the other thread were some were asking how the trip went, so I thought I'd post some info. First, the basics....

I left Oshkosh on Tuesday morning. Plans to be in the air at 8 AM were dashed by light snow falling, which didn't clear up till almost 11. So there goes the time that should have been spent on the first leg. Right away I knew I wasn't going to make it as far as I had originally planned. Also, the OAT was 5 degrees F. FIVE degrees!! That's too darned cold for this old boy, but it was time to go so away I went. I had enough clothes on for two guys but it wasn't enough!

I made my first fuel stop at Bloomington, IL. I was glad to get into the warm FBO for a few minutes after fueling up the plane. After taking some time to warm up I headed out for the next leg, which got me to Marion, IL. They had a heated hangar and a ride to the hotel, so that was the first night's stop. So far, so good.

The next morning it was a bit hazy, and there were some low clouds to the south, so again my departure was delayed. I finally got going at around 10 AM, and headed south. It was 15 degrees, which felt a lot warmer than five!! I made it to Corinth, MS, and stopped for fuel. I had to hang out there for almost two hours to let the weather improve to the southeast, so again I knew I wasn't going to get as far as I would have liked. Finally got going, and ended up catching up to the weather again at Selma, AL, so that's where I spent the second night.

Unfortunately, the second night turned into the third night. I spent all day Thursday looking at low clouds, rain, mist, and other assorted scud, which ended up with another night in Selma. Nice folks at the airport by the way. If you ever find yourself down that way, the folks at Selma will take care of you.

Finally this morning I woke to sunny skies and light winds. I headed out for the final leg(s) of the journey. It was still sort of stinko in central Florida, but the forecast was for it to improve before I got there. I flew from Selma to Thomasville, GA, where I stopped for fuel. Then from Thomasville it was a straight shot to Sebring. And for once the forecast was correct! The skies stayed clear and I even picked up a little bit of tailwind on the last leg! I landed at Sebring at about 2:30 local time. Finally!!

So now for the good stuff. The numbers. I know this is what you all want to see! And the numbers are good! Weather didn't allow me to get up really high, so most of the legs were between 2500 and 3500 MSL. I ran what I consider a normal cruise power setting for the turbo - 3100 rpm, which ends up being about 28 inches MAP. At that power setting, leaned to 1350 degrees on the EGT, I was truing out at 145 mph and burning just about 5 gph! CHT was around 360 to 370 degrees. Oil temp varied due to the changes in OAT. I had the cooler covered up with tape when I left OSH, and even then only got about 135 on the oil temp. It gradually came up as I made it south, and finally got up to about 165 (with the cooler uncovered) as I came into Sebring this afternoon.

All in all, a good flight. Just took more time than I would have liked. But hey, the weather is the one thing that can't be controlled. If you've time to spare, go by air!!
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Re: Turbo to Sebring

Postby Bruce593SX » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:58 pm

Joe, great to hear you made it ok!

Which prop is currently on the turbo? I assume the cruise Prop still?
Bruce Johnson
Sonex 593 AeroVee Turbo
Plans building near San Antonio, TX
Bruce593SX

Postby N111YX » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:50 am

Sounds like quite an adventure, Joe. To think that you are only halfway! :D

Work has me tied up this weekend otherwise I'd be down there with you...
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby Sonerai13 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:07 am

Bruce593SX wrote:Which prop is currently on the turbo? I assume the cruise Prop still?

The prop is the 54x50 Sensenich.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby jerryhain » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:13 pm

Can you let us know what your indicated airspeed is at a specific altitude at 3100RPM and what altitude you climb to before you can't hold 3100 rpm and report your indicated airspeed and altitude and OAT please.

Thanks

If you can't get that high how about at a higher RPM with the same information?
Jerry Hain, Tucson AZ
Waiex Electric?
CFI Glider/Airplane/Helicopter A&P
jerryhain

Postby Sonerai13 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:22 pm

The Sebring event is in the books. After the event I finally got a chance to fill the tank and check my fuel burn for the last leg of the trip down. Once again it came out at exactly 5 gph. This was using the same power settings as I outlined earlier, and the last leg was flown at 3500 feet MSL. Indicated airspeed was 138 and true was 145 (according to the MGL iEFIS Lite).

That was the highest altitude I flew at on the whole trip, due to what the weather allowed. We will do some high altitude testing on the airplane after we get it back from Sun N Fun.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Return to Trip reports