Texas Road Trip

Tell about and show off the best photos from your cross country trips

Texas Road Trip

Postby fastj22 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:51 pm

So just a quick note to what you can do with your Sonex on a lark.

My daughter plays collegiate volleyball and had a tournament in Temple, Texas this weekend. My wife planned to head down from Denver commercial, grab the daughter's car in San Antonio and drive up to Temple. I however, decided to fly my Waiex, since the rare occurrence of good weather, healthy pilot and airworthy plane intersected.
I launched from KFLY at 0700 MST Friday with only my credit card, my flight bag and a range extender ferry tank of gas and after one fuel stop and 5.1 flight hours, landed in Temple KTPL to be met by my wife. We made the 1430 first match. Late dinner with the team, hotel with the wife, and was back at the Temple airport at 0830 waiting for the clouds to lift. Favorable winds whisked me back in 4.1 hours.

Total cost:
Waiex fuel: $220 9.2 hours on plane.
Southwest ticket for wife: $200, $50 parking at DIA.
Spending a short weekend watching the daughter play and having other parents in awe that you flew there in a plane you built in your garage, priceless.

BTW, met Phil Davis at KTPL. The Waiex always brings a lot of airport bums out of the shadows!

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby rbarber » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:28 pm

Sorry I missed you. I was at the Apache Pass fly in. A whopping 15 minutes away.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
rbarber

Re:

Postby fastj22 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:50 pm

rbarber wrote:Sorry I missed you. I was at the Apache Pass fly in. A whopping 15 minutes away.

Ok, you Texas boys need to educate a mountain boy like me. Where in tarnation can you have a pass in some of the flattest land west of the Pecos?

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Texas Road Trip

Postby rbarber » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:57 pm

fastj22 wrote:
rbarber wrote:Sorry I missed you. I was at the Apache Pass fly in. A whopping 15 minutes away.

Ok, you Texas boys need to educate a mountain boy like me. Where in tarnation can you have a pass in some of the flattest land west of the Pecos?

A river??

rbarber

Return to Trip reports