Taking Delivery...

Tell about and show off the best photos from your cross country trips

Taking Delivery...

Postby GraemeSmith » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:03 am

Today I purchased Sonex A, Serial 1153, registered 2015 and 182 hours TTAF and Engine. After dialing myself in to her - I flew her home from NC to RI.

A huge shout out to Dennis Wright who built her. He could not have been more forthcoming and helpful in presenting his plane and trying to make sure I had a good grounding in how he went about putting her together, the issues he had faced and where I was going to find the "woopsies" - there were very few.

Also a shout out to the staff at KRUQ - Mid-Carolina where we arranged the hand over - mainly because I wanted a long runway with no obstacles while I got dialed in. The staff gave us access to facilities, loaned us a shade hangar, gave us help with copying of all the paperwork and witnessed everything when we needed witnesses. Could not have been more helpful. The bill from them? "Just fill her up before you go".

--

So after we completed the paperwork, went through all the drawings, manuals, and extensive spares provided with the plane - 1.6 of airwork and crash and goes. It was gusty and burbly. I had to drag her in for two landings (she sinks like a stone if you get her just the wrong side of slow). Two were the sort of thing that you hope no one saw and two were OK. In the airwork - notwithstanding the burbles - she flies around in slow flight fine, won't drop a wing in a stall and steep turns (once you remember it's a LEFT turning engine and P factor goes the other way) are pretty easy to dial in. Just like a Spitfire......

Then 7.0 on the Hobbs for 558 NM as the crow flies. KRUQ - Mid Carolina in NC to KOFP - Hanover County, VA to 31E Eagles Nest, NJ to KUUU - Newport, RI. But I didn't - I added at least 100 miles weaving between mild build ups in NC and VA and having to go up the Hudson to get past New York. I tried to go over the Bravo direct - but the clouds at 6,500ft decided otherwise. 30 gallons burned for 4.25 gph at 100 KIAS TAS. Plane just short of maximum gross with me and a load of spares, drawings and manuals. I'm liking that!

Pictures...… Click Here (No FB account needed)
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Re: Taking Delivery...

Postby WesRagle » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:34 am

Hi Graeme,

Glad to see you have picked your Sonex. *And*, what an epic first cross country to get your new bird home. Flying down the Hudson? Really?? This small town guy can't even imagine what that must be like.

Congratulations on Your Purchase,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:34 pm

Congratulations! That's a beautiful Sonex and I hope you're very happy with it!

Fly safe and enjoy it!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby GraemeSmith » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:59 pm

WesRagle wrote: Flying down the Hudson? Really??

Actually we consider it pretty "routine" around here. It's how you deal with New York. Much more fun is the 499ft run along the beach south of JFK just under the shelf of the Bravo. You actually call tower DIRECT . Not to ask for it. But to tell them you ARE doing it. They then factor you into their thinking when descending heavies on top of you. Usually something like - "Speedbird cleared to land and the Cessna below at 1 O'clock is not a factor". :grin: But you do have to tell them before you do it - and as I could not get a word in - it was the Hudson instead.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:55 pm

Way to go Graeme! Awesome. Congratulations!!
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby GraemeSmith » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:46 am

Little icing on the cake. After 4 hours sleep I went back to the airport to wash off the bugs and put the plane in the "show and tell" area for KUUU - Newport's Open House which I had just made it in home in time for. She got put at the "top of the line" as the entrance piece that people saw as they came in. Have to say - a little shiny and sleek Sonex beat out the all the certificated planes - Even the eye catching WWII Texan and a Cirrus Vision jet. She was a credit to her builder and the compliments were many.

Over 100 people (mainly kids) got to sit in her and "fly" her. And two other builders - who I didn't even know were local - came over to say hello.

Cherry on top - we won the "Farthest to Fly In" prize! (Well duh!). Certificate, polishing chamois and a 6 pack of the local microbrewery's latest creation.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby fastj22 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:52 pm

GraemeSmith wrote:
Over 100 people (mainly kids) got to sit in her and "fly" her. And two other builders - who I didn't even know were local - came over to say hello.

Cherry on top - we won the "Farthest to Fly In" prize! (Well duh!). Certificate, polishing chamois and a 6 pack of the local microbrewery's latest creation.

That's the spirit. I always let the kids sit in my plane at flyins. The parents are always super appreciative and I hope to inspire future builders.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby GraemeSmith » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:34 am

fastj22 wrote: The parents are always super appreciative and I hope to inspire future builders.

Yep!

I've flown 82 Young Eagles in aircraft prior. That I know of - 5 are PPL (though I'm sure they came to YE predisposed) and two are on track to the airlines. As soon as I'm insurance passenger covered and have some solid hours to be comfortable - going to try and get that to 100.

The one I mentor at our airport can't wait for me to fly off my insurance hours and give him a ride! He is sorely disappointed that the aerobatic weight limit is 950lb!
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Return to Trip reports