KHTO - East Hampton Open House

Tell about and show off the best photos from your cross country trips

KHTO - East Hampton Open House

Postby GraemeSmith » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:45 am

Drop Dead gorgeous day on 9/11. Truly was able to fly hands off (no autopilot) for a climb out over Long Island Sound to 6,500ft. Went to support the East Hampton Flyer's Open House. Neighbors are trying to close the "noisy" airport. It was a big airport community push to get out the word about everything that the airport does for the area.

Went and spent some time in the "Display" area allowing kids to put sticky fingers on polished metal. I now have a new and quite effective tactic. I throw a microfiber cloth at them and tell them to polish the fingermarks off. Amazing how many surrounding parents then "get it" and hang on to their kids firmly! No one takes real offense (well so far!).

Two nice memorials to the day as well. 412 flags in a group on the grass representing the first responders who lost their lives and United and AA crew uniforms hanging with "bowed head" hats next to display boards with short bios about the crews on each flight.

INTERESTING - The forum embedded picture display doesn't deal too well with "wide" pictures - click on each one to see as intended!

Number 2.jpg
Number 2 behind me on final. A deer made a determined attempt to commit suicide by running in front of it during its roll out.

SOnex.jpg
One of the better looking planes on the ramp. Even if it was filthy from the effects of Henri and Ida. I shuddered when pilots looked. The public didn't seem to notice and said nice things

Tri.jpg
Billed as the oldest airliner in the world. This Trimotor is 94 years old (older than the EAA's) and is restored to original with all the wicker chairs. If I think a Sonex is a polishing nightmare. Try that corrugated skin!

SonexSmile.jpg
At one point the line of kids to get to "Sit in a Sonex" was around the plane. I lost count after 40 kids. Though many looked doubtful - all (bar one) left with a "Sonex Smile".
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Return to Trip reports