Satisfaction in building

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Satisfaction in building

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:24 am

To anyone not building an airplane this would sound goofy. To some more experienced builders it probably will sound goofy too....

I spent so many years dreaming of building an airplane - and since the Sonex came out in the late 90's I knew it was what I wanted to build. (The Sonerai in the family garage as I grew up probably made that decision for me)

Now that I have completed the tail, and am working on the wing ribs, I have a sense of satisfaction I didn't expect...

Part of it is the "wow - I am really building an airplane!" moments....part of it is how cool it is to see the pieces go together. But I think a lot of it is the satisfaction I get from being able to look at the plans, visualize the work, and take the time to do it right. Looking back on the little experience I have building (all of 6 months) I really learned a lot building the tail and its paying off now. I can only hope that continues...

This evening I was working on page SNX-W21 doing the left rib and the aileron bellcrank, and stopped for a moment with a silly grin on my face.

Okay - I am probably babbling and sound silly. That's my nature. But to me, there is a real satisfaction in this process we call homebuilding....and I am enjoying every bit of it - even the frustration I went through rebuilding half the horizontal stabilizer. I think that last part just added to the satisfaction - completing the rebuild.

I am certain some will read this and politely roll their eyes. I also think a few may smile and feel the same way.

Couldn't help sharing the moment...

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Aerovee/taildragger
Starting on the wings
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Satisfaction in building

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:26 am

That's awesome Robbie! For what it's worth, I'm also under the same "disease" (insanity?) in that I've really had fun on my build. That's neat to hear about your families Sonerai... I also know what that's like as I grew up with a fiberglass airplane kit being built in my garage.

I think for me, the most gratifying moments I've had so far is when I finally get to rivet a skin on a structure. To me that means I've figured out how to build a component, assembled it, drilled, deburred, and finally get to call that part finished. A week ago I had another huge smile on my face after I took a deep breath and turned on my power and instrument switches, and everything lit up as they were supposed to.

Keep at it...you're going to love building the rest of the wings and then the fuselage! :mrgreen:
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Satisfaction in building

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks Michael!

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Aerovee/taildragger
Starting on the wings
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Andy Walker » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:39 pm

I started building because I want to fly, and as a sport pilot there are not many rentals around. Since I started I realize building is an end to itself, and extremely satisfying (and sometimes frustrating!). I imagine that the day my Sonex flies for the first time will feel at least as big an accomplishment as the day I passed my checkride. :)
Andy Walker

Postby vicdelgado9 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:40 pm

Andy,
I feel the very same way that you do... if fact, I could have written your post!
Vic Delgado
Sonex "CorVex" #969 Plans
3.0L Corvair, tail dragger, single stick
Houston, TX
Expercraft Builders Log
complete: tail,wings, welded & angle parts
"Old Corvairs never die, They just earn their wings".
vicdelgado9

Return to General Discussion