Roll Autopilot Installation

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Roll Autopilot Installation

Postby GordonTurner » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:16 am

Installing Garmin a/p roll servo. Decided to use bay in right wing just outboard of aileron bellcrank. Obtained Garmins RV-6 roll servo install kit from Stein. Mounted bracket to spar flange. Included pushrod proved to be correct length.

Photos. https://imgur.com/user/corvairwaiex

Added access panel to that bay as well. This install might be possible in a completed wing, though it wouldn’t be easy and there are a few steps that would have to be done differently.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Re: Roll Autopilot Installation

Postby daleandee » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:54 pm

GordonTurner wrote:Installing Garmin a/p roll servo. Decided to use bay in right wing just outboard of aileron bellcrank. Obtained Garmins RV-6 roll servo install kit from Stein. Mounted bracket to spar flange. Included pushrod proved to be correct length.

Photos. https://imgur.com/user/corvairwaiex

Added access panel to that bay as well. This install might be possible in a completed wing, though it wouldn’t be easy and there are a few steps that would have to be done differently.

Gordon

Since no one has commented I will as I have to say that is a great looking piece of work you did there. As much as I'd like to have an Autopilot I don't see me trying to put one of those in a closed wing ...

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
166.7 hours / Status - Flying
Member # 109 - Florida Sonex Association
daleandee

Postby keithrhode » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:08 pm

Tru track roll and pitch servo,s fit nicely under seat pan.
keithrhode

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:12 am

Hi all,
Dynon has a roll and pitch servo set up for legacy sonex/waiex/xenos. Goes under seat pan.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby GordonTurner » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:56 am

I have heard it is difficult to avoid interference between their roll servo and the seat pan. The wing is wide open. Nothing against dynon but i have selected garmin as a better fit to my preferences and desires. The effort to design a layout and accomplish the install was really minimal once i determined their RV-6 kit was to be the basis.

Let you know how it works...shortly

Gordon
GordonTurner

Postby GordonTurner » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:58 am

And thanks Dale :)
GordonTurner

Postby rdsafe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:11 am

> Dynon has a roll and pitch servo set up for legacy sonex/waiex/xenos. Goes under seat pan.
> WaiexN143NM
> Michael

The Dynon pitch servo "mounting bracket" will not work here with the standard seat arrangement. How do I know? Just yesterday I finished making a new mounting bracket that is 1/4" lower so that the elevator idler link rod with have clearance above the servo.

Richard
rdsafe

Postby DCASonex » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:52 pm

I have GRT's pitch and roll servos on my center stick (A series) Sonex TD, both under the seat, (Not a lowered seat), no problems. Have drawings and photos if interested. Roll servo is carried on the stick frame so that pitch change does not induce any input to ailerons. This last is not usually a problem, but was simple to do and eliminated potential problem.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby GordonTurner » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:54 pm

That sounds like a good way to do it. This install in the wing looks robust and should work well. I have the lowered seat.

Gordon
GordonTurner

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:16 am

Hi all,
Good to hear you all having fun installing your servos. On a x-country or turbulence the autopilot really shines. If i were to do it again, i'd only install the roll servo, save the weight and cost.
Dave webber who works at dynon, and built a jab 3300 powered std gear sonex, developed the autopilot install kits. The new b models have their new control y stick set up so you'd be on your own . Daves legacy sonex was a dual stick set up, thats what we have on our waiex.
A couple notes on our install:
A) we doubled up on the seat pan bottom and back. Much much stiffer , standing on & getting in & out. Also we added a alum 1/8 x1 in x 1 in angle underneath the seat pan both sides. To prevent flex. Dynon reccomends the sv - 32 servo for pitch, and the sv-42 EL (extra long arm) for roll. We didnt have any problem with the pitch servo clearance, the roll arm (EL) was rubbing on the bottom of seat pan with a 200 lb passenger sitting in rt seat. Hence the alum angles did the trick.
B) the EL arm is needed for roll, you can buy this from dynon if you have a std length arm. When you set up the autopilot the program will have you max stick corner to corner of max throw. The std arm will have too much throw and the set up program wont accept.
C) if you have a standard gear(taildragger) be sure to prop up the plane level when trying out the autopilot in the hangar. Even if you set it to current altitude , the stick will go full forward and the autopilot servo clutch will slip if the plane is not level(ask me how i know).
D) dynon has you install a momentary push button switch in the panel for instant autopilot disconnect.
Lots of other autopilot choices depending on your equipment. MGL, Trio, Tru Track, Garmin, Advanced, GRT etc. Take a look at the dynon offerings for the RV series. Some are mounted in the wings. Like gordon is doing. Something to adapt/modify for your particular set up.

I hope you all enjoyed the NFL playoff games as much as i did this weekend.

Fly safe!!
WaiexN143NM
Michael
Std gear, jab3300, rotec tbi, full dynon, prince p tip, stewart paint, aerographics decal trim. Leather interior, 6 in tailwheel. Electric flaps (very nice!) knutzleman lighting. Tip down inst. panel. Sonex hyd brakes, 2 master cylinders mounted on two stick paddles middle of floorboards just ahead of the spar. Diff braking or both . Parking brake valve, w t handle to pull mounted on sub panel. Red cube fuel flow unit. Carb heat, cabin heat. Portable cabin a/c. ELT technolgies 406 mhz unit. Kips tailwheel bracket. Pushrod with ball ends for tailwheel steering rod. Tracy o'brien backing plates welded on axles for the 'red' sonex calipers.
WaiexN143NM

Next

Return to General Discussion