EarthX Battery

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

EarthX Battery

Postby messydeer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:49 am

Hey, guys :-)

I'm replacing my Odyssey PC625. Looks like the EarthX 680 and 680C would work. The C is 2" shorter and am thinking I could use that space. Any other considerations about making such a change?
messydeer

Re: EarthX Battery

Postby daleandee » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:05 pm

messydeer wrote:Hey, guys :-)

I'm replacing my Odyssey PC625. Looks like the EarthX 680 and 680C would work. The C is 2" shorter and am thinking I could use that space. Any other considerations about making such a change?

FWIW ... I continue to use an Odyssey PC-680 in my Corvair powered airplane as the engine is electrically dependent and the EarthX batteries have a shutdown mode, that if triggered, would leave me running on alternator (dynamo) power. EarthX are working for many people but I'd urge you to carefully explore all the ramifications that could be a part of installing one in your airplane. IIRC you have a Jabiru engine. Here is a post about a EarthX user with a Jabiru charging system:

I've not seen any fires from the batteries. I have seen the charging system damaged on a Jabiru with the damage credited to the EarthX battery charging demands. However, that is mostly due to the underdesigned wiring and connectors in the Jabiru charging system. The Jabiru is a 20 Amp dynamo type system that is not designed to carry a continuous 20 Amp load. The wiring connections are underdesigned. The problem with this charging system and the EarthX or any Lithium Iron battery is that while the battery can deliver huge amounts of amperage all at once, it also wants it back all at once once you are started and charging. If the charging system has poor quality connections, or a regulator or stator coil that will overheat at full load, then a Lithium Iron battery may not be the right choice.

In the case of the Jabiru that failed, the dynamo charging system does not charge at idle. The new owner spent an inordinate amount of time on the run-up pad while working his way through the various menus in the Dynon SkyView system in his new plane. The battery was just about to the low voltage cutoff point when he finally pulled onto the runway for take off. Once the engine was spooled up, the charging system went full tilt trying to recharge the EarthX battery and continued to charge at 20 amps until the charging system went off line. The connectors between the stator coils and the voltage regulator had melted (common problem with the Jabiru at high charge) and the solid state voltage regulator failed (also not an uncommon problem). Shortly after the charging system went off line, the battery had discharged to the safety cut off, so the battery also went off line, as did the Dynon system (battery backup was misconfigured). This was the second time he had done this. The first time the charging system survived, but the battery management system on the EarthX battery had failed taking the battery off line. EarthX did warranty the battery.

The lesson here is to make sure your wiring, connections, and charging system are properly configured to run at max charge as the EarthX battery will take a charge significantly faster than a lead acid battery, so can stress your charging system.

FWIW, I have been really happy with the EarthX I have in my other plane. I'll likely switch the SC Clone over to an EarthX when the current AGM battery expires.

Post from here:

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?51192-Earth-X-batteries-ok-or-not&s=f60ab820a0b5e9a82ccb0e41fd12f258&p=681557&viewfull=1#post681557

Dunno if this helps ...

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
171.9 hours / Status - Flying
Member # 109 - Florida Sonex Association
Latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP7UYEqQ-g
daleandee

Postby GordonTurner » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Thanks for that Dale, definitely keep that in mind when I get to my engine install and after that battery selection.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:57 pm

Gordon,

My Earth X battery is now just over 2yrs old and performing well. My primary purpose for purchasing was two fold. To gain back usable load after installing my Camit 3300 which weighs about 13 lbs more than the Jabiru it replaced. My other reason is, I like gizmos that show promise.
First benefit is weight, second benefit is cranking speed. Barely touch the key and the engine is running.
Jury is still out as to life span,(especially when loaded up with high amp draw).
My Waiex with everything in the panel lite up; including two autopilot servos, and older style nav lights and strobes, will draw about 16 amps.
The battery will slowly go from about 14.3 volts to 13.9 and that's where it stays, until the load is removed. It will then return to 14.3 with a simple 2 amp draw from Dynon panel and radio. Longest I ever kept everything going is about 1 hr. at that level of load. All connectors look good. No signs of stress on any wiring or connectors.
Honestly, I don't know if its the battery or the alternator that doesn't keep up? Or maybe this is completely normal? At least it is in my situation.
So far, so good.

Larry
Waiex121YX
LarryEWaiex121

Postby lutorm » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:31 pm

LarryEWaiex121 wrote:The battery will slowly go from about 14.3 volts to 13.9 and that's where it stays, until the load is removed. It will then return to 14.3 with a simple 2 amp draw from Dynon panel and radio. ... I don't know if its the battery or the alternator that doesn't keep up?

If the battery voltage is dropping when the engine is running, it must be the alternator, by definition. The battery only supplies power when the engine isn't running or the alternator doesn't keep up. But, since it stabilizes at 13.9, it's probably just the charging regulator that is a bit low.
lutorm

Return to General Discussion