Tail skins

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Tail skins

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:01 am

Hi all,
On the tail skins, do you bend them any more as compared to how they come in the box? Or just fold them over and cleco them down? They seem more open than the scratch built leading edges I have built before.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: Tail skins

Postby Mike53 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:41 am

I just used mine right out of the box.I would recommend that you not rivet the sub structure until you line up and cleco the skin,then open one side and rivet the ribs .If you rivet the sub structure and then try to put the skin on you will find the holes do not line up unless you are extremely lucky.( the whole sub structure will become very rigid and not want to move )Trust me on this one :?
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:45 pm

Mike,
How do you rivet to the forward spar with the skins on? From the back side?
Bryan
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby mfazio » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:19 am

First take your sharpie and run a line down the middle of the mating flange on the spars and ribs. You'll want to align these sharpie lines with the pilot holes on the skin.

Align the forward and rear spars against one side of the skin. You'll want the rear spar flange to align precisely along the edge of the skin. Clamp the rear spar. Align the forward spar by lining up the sharpie line on the forward spar with the pilot holes in the skin. Clamp the forward spar. Now take each rib and align the rib so you can see the sharpie line through the skin. Clamp each rib. This will locate the substructure with the pilot holes in the skin.

As I recall I believe I had cleco'd the substructure together to one side of the skin before I started pulling rivets. The forward connection point to support the nose rib was a little tricky to locate the angle that is bolted to the structure, not difficult just a little tricky. Also pay attention to the alignment of the rear spar on the skin and the piano hinge that attaches to it.

Mike
Waiex #63
Just about to rivet my first spar
mfazio

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:12 pm

Mike,
I think I have it easier, as I have holes in my ribs, spars, and skin. Once I modified WIX-T11-09 to match the plans, everything clecoes together well. The only thing I am trying to figure out is how to rivet the ribs to the forward spar with the skin on. Maybe I can get a hand riveter in there, but the forward part of the skin is in the way.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby fastj22 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:04 pm

Bryan,
Are you talking about riveting the hockey sticks to the front spar? Or the ribs to the front spar channel? Both should all be done before skinning.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Ribs to front spar, hockey stick is already riveted. Mike was suggesting the skins be clecoed on while riveting the frame together to preserve alignment.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby fastj22 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:10 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Ribs to front spar, hockey stick is already riveted. Mike was suggesting the skins be clecoed on while riveting the frame together to preserve alignment.

I'm trying to remember, its been 2 years, but I thought I just did the measurements from the drawings to set the ribs. Riveted them in place. Since every rib is a different length, they can't be off by much and maintain a even slope of the spar from base to tip. The entire frame will move around a bit until you rivet the bottom skin on. Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't have the skin clecoed to the frame when I riveted the ribs/spar. The skin came later.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Return to General Discussion