Tail tips tips

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Tail tips tips

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:26 pm

Hi all,
Does anybody have any tips for mounting tail tips? Or pictures? I am wondering how you aligned them and how you transferred pilot holes from the skins to the tips ( for you kit builders).
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: Tail tips tips

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:44 am

Hello Bryan,

I don't remember which page of the plans its on, but I believe there is a plans page that shows how much of a "notch" must be cut out of the back edge of the tail tips for ruddervator clearance. I cut that out, but before adding the reinforcement rib into the fiberglass tip, I fit the tip. In order to do this, the fiberglass tip fits inside the tail skin and it will sit on the outermost rib. Once seated, i used the skin as a template to pilot drill the holes through the fiberglass. One pilot drilled, make sure the ruddervator has an appropriate gap, trim as necessary, then you can install that rib reinforcement into the fiberglass tip.

It''s completely up to you, but you could also consider painting the tip prior to final instillation. Have fun...your build is looking great!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby SvingenB » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:25 am

This is a Onex, don't know if it is applicable for the Waiex. This is how I did the tips.
http://onex-svingenb.blogspot.no/2013/1 ... -tips.html
http://onex-svingenb.blogspot.no/2013/1 ... -tips.html

To get the holes aligned I used a old home made hole duplicator. Eventually I drilled too much of the notch in the duplicator. Instead of fixing it right away I used a 12" #40 drill and drilled pilot holes from the opposite side, which was much faster and easier by the way (if the 12" drill bit haven't been so dull).

That, and other drilling experiences made me order a Christmas gift from my wife: a Drill Doctor 500X from ACS :-)
Reserved LN-ENX for Onex #134
Onex build log
SvingenB

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:00 am

I think I see I made a mistake. I thought the pilot holes outboard of the last rib were for mounting the tip. It seems like it should have picked up the tip rib holes too. Whoops, I already have rivets there. I had planned on final install after paint. Also, I like the idea of drilling through with a long bit.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby sonex892 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:45 pm

Mine is a Sonex so cant help with waiex alignment advice.

To help with inserting the tip between the rib and skin, I suggest not riveting the last couple of the outermost spar rivets until the tip is on for keeps.

Line up and fit with control surfaces installed. I wasn't happy with the fit of my rudder tip and later removed to adjust and refit.

I suggest aluminium rivets on all fibreglass tips. It will help make things easier later on when removing to repair hanger rash :x . My tips are riveted on with aluminium rivets only now, I originally installed all tail tips with stainless rivets and will never do that again.

Steve
Sonex 892 VHZSX
sonex892

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:04 pm

I looked at the plans, it looks like the tips do not pick up the rivets in the rib. Panic over.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:08 am

I do see another issue though. My skins have a rounded leading edge as riveted on, and the glass parts are more tapered. Had I known I would have squeezed the leading edge down before I riveted the skins. Any other Waiexers had this issue?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.57 KiB) Viewed 6860 times
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby sonex892 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Bryan. Looking at the photo the attachment of the tip on the sonex is nothing like on your waiex. On the sonex the tail tips are sandwiched between the rib and skin making them a B*##@ to fit. Is it just a waiex thing or is it a change for all sonex aircraft?

As for the tips not fitting perfectly I think that is normal. All my fibreglass tips including the wingtips needed work. The rudder was the worst requiring major surgery it had a horrible twist and a bulge at the front.

Steve 892
sonex892

Postby rizzz » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:07 pm

I struggled trying to fit the tail tip under the skin and eventually gave up.
I decided to do a common mod which is instead of trying to squeeze the tail tip between the skin and tip rib, just insert an aluminium “lip” and attach the rib to that, you then just need to trim the rib a bit more obviously because it does not go under the skin anymore.
Here’s are some pictures showing how this was done:

Many people have done this mod, also, I decided to rivet my tail tip to the lip but this mod also allows you to use nutplates with metal screws instead to attach the ribs to the tail, this way you would be able to remove the tips very easily.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Ryan of Waiex 197 and Kerry From Sonex both pointed out, nearly at the same time that the glass tip goes inside the skin but outboard of the rib. This is much like the mod that Michael mentions. Glad I asked and was made smarter!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Next

Return to General Discussion