AeroConversions Trim System with electric trim?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

AeroConversions Trim System with electric trim?

Postby tommyg » Mon May 20, 2024 11:59 am

Hi all,

I am building a subsonex with the aeroconversions trim system and trying to integrate the automatic pitch trim control of my autopilot in. I had a few ideas for how to do this but was wondering if anyone had integrated an electric trim system with the aeroconversions trim system (or had a better trim system for the Y tail).

I was thinking of either using a stepper motor to drive the actual aeroconversions knob shaft from behind (so it could be overridden) or mounting the spring to a plate that could be moved by an RAC electric trim shaft (although I'm not sure they have enough throw).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Tommy.
tommyg

Re: AeroConversions Trim System with electric trim?

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon May 20, 2024 1:25 pm

Tommy,
I've never heard of someone electrically driving an Aeroconversions trim but I think some similar home-rolled solutions have been done. No reason it wouldn't work.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby T41pilot » Mon May 20, 2024 1:34 pm

I didn't want to take up panel space with the big red knob so I elected to use a linear actuator with a 4 inch throw under my seat instead. The springs are still installed on the stick as called out in the plans. I installed an extra helper spring for up trim. Some calibration is required of spring tension. Flight testing will determine that. The cable was cut and routed from the stick attach point to the actuator mounted side to side under the passenger side of the seat. so far it hasn't failed. I have a momentary switch on my panel for trim mainly for cost savings but a hat switch on the stick is certainly a better idea. Linear actuators are common place and easily found on the internet. Get the strongest load capacity for the money you want to spend. Keep weight fit and form in mind when shopping. The 4 inch throw seems to work fine for me.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby lakespookie » Tue May 21, 2024 7:48 pm

any build pictures of that setup?
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby Kitfox93eg » Wed May 22, 2024 5:21 am

Tommy, I'm working on doing that now and have some parts coming this week. I'll post some pics as I get it worked out.

Ed Grasso
Kitfox93eg

Postby T41pilot » Wed May 22, 2024 9:00 am

lakespookie wrote:any build pictures of that setup?

This is the only picture I could find and probably doesn't include the detail you were looking for. You can see the short loop of the outer sheath of the control cable. Bare cable routed to stick and attach point of linear actuator. Cable is held rigidly taut by force of springs. Actuator is mounted to rear spar carry through. Pull cable to neutral trim/stick center with actuator in center position and attach. I can pull my seat back off if you want a better picture of the actuator
Attachments
actuator.jpg
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby BRS » Wed May 22, 2024 12:40 pm

I swapped out the mechanical trim system for RayAllen servos (aileron and elevator) built into the control surfaces. They are controlled by a hat switch on my control stick.

There is another outfit (name escapes me) that does a similar thing but uses RC type servos to an A/P.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby phenry » Wed May 22, 2024 5:51 pm

This YouTube shows one way to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5y7g0naF-s
I copied this in my Waiex. Put actuator in different location, principle the same.
Peter Henry
W#149
phenry

Postby lakespookie » Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:51 pm

I like the idea of using a ray allen in the seat pan loacation if you can easily remove the seat pan that would be great otherwise no worries. you gave me a basic idea of how to do it.

That video was great thanks everyone.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Return to General Discussion