Why the Sonex?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Why the Sonex?

Postby fdkirkland » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Okay, so about that X-country flying, my major concern is the ability to trim the plane and sit back an enjoy the scenary. I had a Davis DA-2 and it was a constant flyer, even though it had a working trim system, one had to fly the airplane at all times. I want to be able to relax on those legs. I know that there will always be conditions that upset the plane, like turbulance, but will it return to its trimmed plane of flight without having to be horsed around... I get that it is not a Cessna but I've had small planes that were stable and enjoyable and I've had small planes that you were exhausted after flying them on a 500 mile X-country trip. What is the Sonex like as a cross country platform?
fdkirkland

Postby Andy Walker » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:33 pm

I think the Sonex/Waiex is a pretty much hands on airplane, but if you don't like hand flying for long distances, you can add a two axis autopilot to most of the EFIS options for $1500-2000.
Andy Walker

Postby N111YX » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:08 pm

This is likely subjective but here goes...

I have literally flown cross country in my Waiex. 4300 miles in 7 days (and a total 25000 miles in 14 months).

Would I install an autopilot? No. My main reasons are cost and weight in that order. Were there times that I wished that I could push a button and have "George" take over for a while? Sure. Maybe for 15 minutes to take a break or maybe to fold a chart. If I get bored, I'll do a roll. I don't have to hold altitude to within 50 feet, or even 300 feet (over the desert maybe 3000 feet!) so I don't use brainpower to hold tight tolerances.

My Waiex goes where it was pointed last. I point it level and do what I need to do and it stays there pretty well. I have flown a 172 on a 500 mile trip but it was long ago and I don't remember the battle for straight and level. I was probably wishing it was less stable...;)
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby radfordc » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:46 am

fdkirkland wrote:I know that there will always be conditions that upset the plane, like turbulance, but will it return to its trimmed plane of flight?

Mine won't. My plane is not dynamically stable. If the nose drops the speed just keeps increasing...if the nose rises the speed just keeps decreasing. So I have to fly the plane all the time...but there isn't any "horsing" required and it doesn't require any particular effort. It's all done with just light fingertip control and requires very little mental focus so there is plenty of opportunity for sight seeing. An autopilot might be useful if you are a serious x-country flier. My friend Bob installed a wing leveler autopilot in his Sonex and never used it. He sold it last year.

Charlie
radfordc

Postby Andy Walker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:46 am

N111YX wrote:This is likely subjective but here goes...

I have literally flown cross country in my Waiex. 4300 miles in 7 days (and a total 25000 miles in 14 months).

Would I install an autopilot? No. My main reasons are cost and weight in that order. Were there times that I wished that I could push a button and have "George" take over for a while? Sure. Maybe for 15 minutes to take a break or maybe to fold a chart. If I get bored, I'll do a roll. I don't have to hold altitude to within 50 feet, or even 300 feet (over the desert maybe 3000 feet!) so I don't use brainpower to hold tight tolerances.

My Waiex goes where it was pointed last. I point it level and do what I need to do and it stays there pretty well. I have flown a 172 on a 500 mile trip but it was long ago and I don't remember the battle for straight and level. I was probably wishing it was less stable...;)

My plan is to pre-wire for the autopilot servos, but not install them. That way if down the road I want an autopilot, I can add one. But I'm going to actually fly the plane for a long while before I decide if I want the autopilot or not. You make a great point Kip, that the fun of flying a plane like the Sonex/Waiex is in actually *flying* it! :)
Andy Walker

Postby fdkirkland » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:38 am

These are helpful comments. Now the obvious question. Is the Waiex more stable than the Sonex? Something else to question regarding the Waiex is whether or not there are any tendencies for the Witchita Wobble like a Bonanza. My DA2 did not even though it was a V-tail, however, my Polywagpn did while it was a conventional tail. Just curious whether Waiex builders/fliers have an opion as to the difference in ride/glide/performance versus the Sonex.
fdkirkland

Postby dbdevkc » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:26 am

Kip can answer that question the best but if you research that specific topic/question on the Sonex site you will find that their answer is that there is no noticeable difference between the two. And there is no reported 'Bonanza wobble'. Obviously, I am building a Waiex.

If this is your ideal in an airplane...

"even though it had a working trim system, one had to fly the airplane at all times. I want to be able to relax on those legs."

and by "relax" you mean pay very little attention to flying the plane, then perhaps the Sonex is not for you. I think to get that you will be trading off some of the 'fun-to-fly' factor though.
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby Andy Walker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:02 am

The only difference I can tell from talking to a couple of Waiex owners, is that the Sonex may have a little bit more rudder authority for crosswinds. The coupled ruddervators on the Waiex seem to run out a little sooner at landing speeds. In fact Kip and I were talking about this over the weekend when I was lamenting not building a Waiex and losing out on some coolness factor. :lol:
Andy Walker

Postby N111YX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:11 pm

This is probably the number one question I get. The Waiex is NOT a Bonanza! The Bonanza has a "V" tail and the Waiex has a "Y" tail. The Waiex has vertical area built into the tail and it prevents "wag". I have 200+ hours of Waiex time and only 20 minutes of Sonex time so it's hard to fully compare but I have found no performance differences other than the Waiex tail may be not be as strong in a crosswind versus a Sonex. In cruise, the Waiex may cycle one more time in yaw in turbulence but I am not sure... ;)

fdkirkland wrote:These are helpful comments. Now the obvious question. Is the Waiex more stable than the Sonex? Something else to question regarding the Waiex is whether or not there are any tendencies for the Witchita Wobble like a Bonanza. My DA2 did not even though it was a V-tail, however, my Polywagpn did while it was a conventional tail. Just curious whether Waiex builders/fliers have an opion as to the difference in ride/glide/performance versus the Sonex.
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby fdkirkland » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:28 am

dbdevkc wrote:Kip can answer that question the best but if you research that specific topic/question on the Sonex site you will find that their answer is that there is no noticeable difference between the two. And there is no reported 'Bonanza wobble'. Obviously, I am building a Waiex.

If this is your ideal in an airplane...

"even though it had a working trim system, one had to fly the airplane at all times. I want to be able to relax on those legs."

and by "relax" you mean pay very little attention to flying the plane, then perhaps the Sonex is not for you. I think to get that you will be trading off some of the 'fun-to-fly' factor though.

By relaxing I mean being able to let go of the stick long and not have the plane fall off into a dive long enough to fold a map. I recognize this is a small bird but I've had planes that were squirley and ones that were comfortable fun to fly.
fdkirkland

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion