Final Up-Drilling of Wing Attach Assemblies

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Final Up-Drilling of Wing Attach Assemblies

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:08 pm

Kevin,
Welcome back! For me the .3725 reamer was right. Mic up your bolts, and even better drill and ream some scrap to check the fit on your bolts. The .3725 worked for me on the hummelbird wings and years later was good on the Waiex wings.

For bushings I bought some 3/8" OD 1/4" ID 4130 from Spruce. They are a bit tight to slip into the holes. I will call in a favor from a friend with a lathe and turn them down a bit. I am a ways away from rigging but my thought was to drill the forward holes to 1/4", pop the wings off, drill and ream the forward angle up to size, then put the wings back on using the long bushings as the wing pin. Then with the 1/4" hole accurately located I could pop the rear angles off and drill/ream them to size. Alternatively, you can use your nicely drilled spar holes as a drill guide. You could always clamp a drill block on the back side to protect the spar blocks. By drill block I mean a piece of aluminum or steel with a .3725 hole in it.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: Final Up-Drilling of Wing Attach Assemblies

Postby kevinh » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:19 pm

Thanks Bryan, that helps a lot.
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Previous

Return to General Discussion