Sonex Canopy

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Sonex Canopy

Postby ihab » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:34 pm

Hi folks. This is Pickleman's canopy -- I got pictures from him and resized them. His remarks:

Since the windshield ISN'T bolted down, it doesn't look like it blends well with the canopy, but when it is screwed in place the line is smooth and continuous. It IS raised a couple of inches from stock. The rear lip overlaps the turtleneck about an inch. There is an added photo of the front windshield bow and he wrapped aluminum windscreen attachment piece. The gold line is the approximate meeting place of candy and wind shield. The one photo from the side shows the reformed bubble where it bonds to the canopy frame.
Attachments
canopy-resized-04.jpg
canopy-resized-03.jpg
canopy-resized-02.jpg
canopy-resized-01.jpg
canopy-resized-00.jpg
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby ihab » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:35 pm

... and one last photo from Pickleman (5 photos per message limit):
Attachments
canopy-resized-05.jpg
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby rfidler » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:55 am

I think this gentleman is headed in the correct direction for the canopy frame concept. What does the frame look like in the forward fixed part windscreen portion fixed to fuselage?
rfidler

Postby Sx1552 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:31 pm

How well will the canopy jettison in an emergency? I fly aerobatics and don't see an easy way to put in a jettison handle. Maybe I'm missing something, but I want the option to bail out.
Sx1552

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:21 pm

Peter Anson's canopy latch provides a much easier to use handle with a positive "throw" that raises the left edge solidly a couple of inches. That will get the leading edge lip up into the airstream and I'm 99% sure that will take care of it. My own abandon aircraft drill is:

Mixture out and master and mags off
Flick headset aft into baggage compartment
Flick the canopy latch to unlock
Lastly - Undo harness and crouch/standup on seat pan . I'm either going to be standing in a blast of air or finishing pushing the canopy overboard.
Jump.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Arjay » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:16 pm

Once the canopy is unlatched, if the engine is running above idle, and/or the airplane is moving above walking speed, the canopy will assuredly open...with a bang! Ask me how I know that!

Ron
Taildragging Sonex, 695
Arjay

Postby BRS » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:32 pm

GraemeSmith wrote:...
Mixture out and master and mags off
Flick headset aft into baggage compartment
Jump.

Since you are letting the plane fly it's self to oblivion why take the time to find the mag switch and and master when really all you want to do is get out and away? Seems pulling the mixture is the fastest control to find that will kill the engine.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:01 am

BRS wrote:Since you are letting the plane fly it's self to oblivion why take the time to find the mag switch and and master when really all you want to do is get out and away? Seems pulling the mixture is the fastest control to find that will kill the engine.

'Cuz planes HAVE been known to decide to keep flying and circle around on their ex-crew. De-energizing it before departing is a recommended practice. My Mags. mixture and canopy lock are clustered in the same area - so it's even easier to do than some planes I've drilled for.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Previous

Return to General Discussion