Replacement rubber for Shaw fuel tank plugs

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Replacement rubber for Shaw fuel tank plugs

Postby DCASonex » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:28 pm

About a year ago, purchased a replacement Shaw snap plug for old style fuel tank from Amazon that someone listed being same as Sonex supplied plug. It is not. The Sonex plug is listed as a SKU # 51019-4, and of Buna-N material. Shaw plugs which now seems to be part of Shaw development, lists their plug # 51019-4 as being Buna N and the 51019 plug as neoprene, the -4 seeming to designate Buna Nitrile (Buna-N) material. The one offered on Amazon is neoprene. Neoprene is listed as unsatisfactory for use with gasoline on chemical resistance charts I have seen, while Buna-N is shown as satisfactory.

While searching Shaw plugs, found they sell replacement Buna-N rubber only for those plugs separately as part number 920024-1019 for $15 each, but minim order of 5 or $75, plus a rather high shipping charge of $20.26 for UPS ground from FL to NY making cost about $20 each. I have ordered one batch for myself and possibly an other local Sonex, but anyone with friends to share with might want to consider this source when time to replace existing plugs.

David A. Sonex TD #1327
DCASonex

Return to General Discussion