Test area

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Test area

Postby Darick » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:26 pm

I recently requested my test area of a 30 mile radius with the local DAR, who submitted it to the FSDO. They came back with a nice rectangular area instead which keep me out of any control towered areas. My DAR was not quite sure why except he said it may be because I would ALWAYS have to be in contact with a control center while flying the test phase.?? I never heard that before.

I could easily live with their test area but I thought it would be nice to fly into D class airports in my area just to stay in practice.

Can anybody clarify the rules about this?
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Re: Test area

Postby Sonerai13 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:27 am

There are no "rules" about flight test areas other than a general requirement that they not be "over densely populated areas or in congested airspace". Beyond that general guidance, it's up to the FSDO to decide what is an acceptable area and what is not. When I was a DAR I negotiated a wide variety of test areas, some of which included Class D and Class C airspace.

You certainly do NOT need to be in constant contact with ATC while flying your flight tests. You are only required to talk to ATC in that airspace that would require it of any flight. There is no specific ATC-contact requirement that applies directly to flight testing.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Re: Test area

Postby Darick » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:20 am

Thanks Joe, that answers the question exactly.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Return to General Discussion