retrofit dynon pitot

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

retrofit dynon pitot

Postby waiking59 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:00 pm

I'm looking for any advice about retrofitting a Grezt pitot tube mount and Dyson pitot tube onto my Waiex wing. I built the wing to the plans for a Sonex pitot/static and have since decided to go with the Gretz/Dynon pitot/AOA setup

thanks,
max
Waiex59
waiking59

Re: retrofit dynon pitot

Postby andrewp » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:09 pm

I started with one and ended with the Dynon probe too, but that happened before the plane flew. I made a new hole for it (I patched up the previous one), and added a doubler and angles internally to strength it. It is a bit of a large object to simple attach directly to the skin and I kept going until it was appropriately rigid. I likely have some photos of what I did somewhere, but I would need to go back through the archives.

Cheers,

Andrew
andrewp

Re: retrofit dynon pitot

Postby waiking59 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:37 pm

Thanks Andrew,

Any pixs would be great. My wing is on a work table now, stabilized upside down with the main spar web vertical. My wings have been rigged but are off while I finish my plane. Using the Gretz mount I discovered I will need to shim the aft end, next to the lower main spar cap, 1/4" to make the pitot perpendicular to the web. I'm thinking I can add the doubler, after trimming, that came with the mount to the inside of the LE skin. I'll need to enlarge the existing plans LE skin opening forward to clear the mount. Looks like I'll be able to fit the mount and doubler in through the root end of the wing and rib lightening holes. After it is fitted I'll make a patch over the mount installation to cover the existing hole that is wider than the mount.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/i ... ackets.php
waiking59

Return to General Discussion