Radio Noise

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Radio Noise

Postby n163yx » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:05 pm

To Jeff etal, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunaltey, I've already tries all those things. I'm trying to get Camit to let me buy a set of coils with the condition that I can return them if they don't fix the problem. After that, the only thing I can think of is to get a "store bought" radio/ intercom harness - even tho I've checked mine multiple times.
n163yx

Re: Radio Noise

Postby andrewp » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:36 pm

This may have already been mentioned, but if you have a handheld that is battery operated that you can put some headset on, see if you are still getting noise on that (eg: try to determine if it is transmitted EMI stuff as opposed to noise coupled through power/ground/signal).

I would start with that. After that, get your radio powered by 12V ship power (ok, don't transmit on it) and see if there is a profound for the worse. I find it a little odd it is picking up the Dynon EFIS emissions, I guess there is a hint in there somewhere that something power or wiring is afoot.

I would describe the radio performance of mine old 3300 as tolerable but I did change the plugs on it about 20 hours in to the NGK iridium ones and found it helped a little bit (could have been wishful thinking). The jab is a furious emitter of electrical energy, of that I am convinced.

Cheers,

Andrew
andrewp

Re: Radio Noise

Postby fastj22 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:08 pm

Trouble shooting radio noise is a game of elimination. You need to eliminate, one factor at time, any potential cause. It is not easy, and very frustrating. There are too many variables in our home builts. Vendors will try their best, but they can't control all the stuff we do and put in. All I can say is there are Sonex flying with your configuration without the noise, so it is achievable.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Return to General Discussion