Need Help ASAP with purchase in Colorado!

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Need Help ASAP with purchase in Colorado!

Postby aero-103 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:48 am

Hello everyone,

I am strongly considering the purchase of a built Sonex located in Brighton, Colorado. I live in Virginia and before heading out to pick up the plane, I was wondering if there were any Sonex builders who could conduct a pre-purchase inspection of the airplane before me flying out. I would also need assistance with removing the wings and loading the plane into a box truck. If anyone is available to help me out, please give me a call at 571-442-1959. My hopes are to fly out today or tomorrow to conduct the purchase. Truly appreciate any assistance.

Regards,
Mike
aero-103

Re: Need Help ASAP with purchase in Colorado!

Postby SP1 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:27 pm

I saw that the sonex on barnstormers in brighton, CO was no longer listed. Are you the proud owner of a Sonex now? I was looking at that one as well.
SP1

Postby fastj22 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:10 pm

SP1 wrote:I saw that the sonex on barnstormers in brighton, CO was no longer listed. Are you the proud owner of a Sonex now? I was looking at that one as well.

Aero-103 is heading out from Virginia as we speak now to finalize the transaction. Gary, me and Carl flew up to check it out for him this morning. Its a really fine bird. Built by an experienced craftsman exactly to plans and only flew once around the pattern once back in 2010. The guy just loved to build and moved on to an RV14.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby SP1 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:32 pm

Congrats to Mike! I'm happy / jealous of him. I'm sure he appreciates you guys flying out to see it. It's a sign of a really great community to have not one, but 3 guys take time to fly out and peak under the hood for him. I hope you or others don't mind for a similar favor if I decide to pick up a partially built kit.
SP1

Postby fastj22 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:39 am

SP1 wrote:Congrats to Mike! I'm happy / jealous of him. I'm sure he appreciates you guys flying out to see it. It's a sign of a really great community to have not one, but 3 guys take time to fly out and peak under the hood for him. I hope you or others don't mind for a similar favor if I decide to pick up a partially built kit.

To be honest, the plane was at a private airpark and any opportunity to fly into a new place and talk to plane guys is something we look forward to. Unfortunately, the builder wasn't there to see three sonex show up as he's in hospice. But his friends took some pictures of the three planes in front of his house to show him. I hope it brings a smile to him.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby aero-103 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:34 pm

Hello John...and all,

I just wanted to send you a quick note and photo of the Sonex you helped me purchase a year ago. Since your pre-purchase inspection, I have installed a GRT EFIS, Strobes and I recently painted it my self. I have a little over 70 hours on it and it flies very true...also doing some mild aerobatics. Thanks again for the help. The next project is to put a UL 350is in it right after the new year.

Cheers,
Mike (aero-103)
Sonex 1 email.jpg
Attachments
Sonex 3 email.jpg
Sonex 2 email.jpg
aero-103

Postby GWMotley » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:31 am

Sure looks different from the time we took a look at it. Glad you are enjoying the plane. Looks great!
Gary Motley
Sonex 1155
Great Plains Force One/Aerovee Hybridized
MGL/ipad panel
First Flight 08/2011
About 670 hours on this plane
GWMotley

Return to General Discussion