Update navworx adsb boxes

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Update navworx adsb boxes

Postby mike.smith » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:10 pm

fastj22 wrote:There is only one antenna for the 1090, the Skyguard TWX Pro is only 978 out, but dual band in. You could tie both 978 (in) and 1090 (in) to one external antenna with adapters and a tee, I did this with my Stratux and it worked. They provide individual whip antennas for the in's that attach to the box. The 978 out requires a dedicated UAT and can't share the transponder one as far as I know. You must provide the UAT. I use a dedicated 978 UAT on the belly for (in) to get the best signal from the ground stations.

Thanks for the clarification for your installation. In their installation manual they show 4 antenna for ADSB (2 for each frequency; transmit and receive), plus the transponder antenna. So the installation manual appears to be calling for 5 antennas mounted outside the aircraft. The GPS is a puck on the glareshield, so nothing hanging out in the breeze.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby fastj22 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Which model are you looking at?

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby mike.smith » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:57 pm

fastj22 wrote:Which model are you looking at?

http://adsb.skyguardtwx.com/wp-content/ ... ver-EX.pdf

See page 4.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby mike.smith » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:03 pm

This looks promising from Sandia:
http://sandia.aero/wp-content/uploads/2 ... R5_Web.pdf

With the remote option the control head will fit in my existing panel cut-out for the STX-165 transponder. $3,200. And transponder and UAT can share the same single antenna.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:22 am

Hi mike
The sandia units look very nice. Says certification is pending. Interesting can use same antenna. Dynon was very specific we keep the tpx and uat antenna at least 3ft apart.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby fastj22 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:21 am

mike.smith wrote:
fastj22 wrote:Which model are you looking at?

http://adsb.skyguardtwx.com/wp-content/ ... ver-EX.pdf

See page 4.

Ok, I see your confusion. The "fourth" antenna you are seeing is the interrogator whip antenna (sniffer). It doesn't require its own UAT on the bottom. There is no 1090 out. So if you wanted to use all the supplied antenna, you only need to buy one additional UAT for the 978 out which will give you two external antennas (assuming you already have one for your transponder).

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby fastj22 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:25 am

mike.smith wrote:This looks promising from Sandia:
http://sandia.aero/wp-content/uploads/2 ... R5_Web.pdf

With the remote option the control head will fit in my existing panel cut-out for the STX-165 transponder. $3,200. And transponder and UAT can share the same single antenna.

That looks very promising. It doesn't have an internal GPS so you still need an external WAAS GPS and altitude encoder. They say an MGL or Grand Rapids can supply that. But if you already don't have a transponder, it looks like a good solution. Of course if you go the Dynon or Garmin route, they have a complete integrated solution. $$$$

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:11 pm

Hi mike,
So if the new iLevel 3AW had an optional certified adsb gps hooked up to it , like the new trig tn72, then ?, but your statement of the portabilty, yea so if it can be portable, even if it permanetly mounted to airframe, seems to disqualify it?
Yes john, the product discription is confusing. I wish they would re-write their web page. They say adsb out with a optional gps source. But as mike mentioned, if its portable at all it cant qualify.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby fastj22 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:40 pm

WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi mike,
So if the new iLevel 3AW had an optional certified adsb gps hooked up to it , like the new trig tn72, then ?, but your statement of the portabilty, yea so if it can be portable, even if it permanetly mounted to airframe, seems to disqualify it?
Yes john, the product discription is confusing. I wish they would re-write their web page. They say adsb out with a optional gps source. But as mike mentioned, if its portable at all it cant qualify.

WaiexN143NM
Michael

The SkyGuard was originally a portable solution. Because of the FAA clarification, they provide a mounting strap which makes it "not" portable. So all those portable units can be "permanently" mounted. BTW, I in no way endorse the Skyguard nor do I not recommend it. Its what I have and most familiar with, and I hope they survive.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby SonexN76ET » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Just for the record, the I-Levil AW3 is not an ADS-B OUT box of any sort. The only thing it will do for ADS-B out is provide a certified WAAS GPS that can be connected to a Mode S transponder or an ADS-B OUT box that requires a certified WAAS GPS source external to itself.

The I-Levil AW3 provides ADS-B IN, WAAS GPS, and AHRS functions that are displayed on an IPAD. It is also capable of interfacing with engine management systems to display engine instruments on your iPAD. What makes the I-Levil AW unique is that it has pitot static ports on it for altimeter and airspeed.

I have been very happy with my I-Levil AW.

Thanks,

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion