Update navworx adsb boxes

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Update navworx adsb boxes

Postby andrewp » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:26 pm

Please do - I ain't holding out too much hope there alas.

I was digging up my UATConsole copy I had on an old laptop to make sure I could execute the change on the weekend (!), which I can still do. I need to check my 430 config and then of course I have to fly said airplane to avionics shop and hand them my first born ;-)

If we were having any more fun, we wouldn't be able to stand it!
andrewp

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:37 am

All, Andrew,
Hope your amoc goes ok . Only 3 i know of from the vans site. The legacy exp boxes have no serial external port , so thats why the fix for them was the 'cigarette' sized new box with 'new' chip. The only downside for you is no new software releases if bugs are found.
I wonder how the FAA came up with The ammount of fine $. Maybe total sales including payments and deposits for units not delivered. Plus a fine. Article on avweb says FAA has been in contact with navworx after levying the penality. Maybe offer to revoke the fine if navworks reopens sources new chips and helps out the 900 boxes out there. Ive seen stranger things happen . The faa is trying to get everyone adsb compliant by jan 1 2020. They know many navworx customers are stranded/soured.
More to come...........

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby WaiexN143NM » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:47 am

Hi all,
Info from the vans VAF site. Watch for a press release from www.dallasavionics.com any day now.
They will have a completely new unit avbl -exp. will be heavily discounted for people holding a valid navworx -exp serial number. Must comply w ad by jan 18 , 2018.
If you own a certified naworx unit that was in the ad, then by jan 18 you have to comply with the ad. I guess you could try a amoc with a certified gps source. Andrew were u successfull in that with your C182?
John Austin , from the zenith site, also posted on vans site he is asking the faa to consider ammending the ad to disable the transmitter on the navworx box and use it only as adsb in. He received a Uavionics wingtip adsb unit for out.

Havent heard anymore from navworx. Will they declare bankruptcy? The civil penalty of $3.7 M is hanging over them. Who knows if the FAA could ever collect.

Good luck to everyone.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby SonexN76ET » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:20 pm

I am thinking I may go with a Garmin GTX 335 solution. They have a complete installation kit to include the transponder, GPS, antennas, wiring harness, and altitude encoder for $3100. It would replace my mode C Garmin transponder I currently use. Combing the altitude encoder, transponder, gps, and ADS-B into one box will simplify my wiring and cut down on my electrical draw.

As a side note, I have an AmeriKing 406 ELT I spent about $800 on that turned out to be a boat anchor as it comes on by itself for no reason. The FAA also issued an AD for them as well. So I feel your pain.

By the way, did you hear that Icon has raised the price for their seaplane to $389,000? That has got to hurt for the people who put deposits down on that!

I am very glad I decided on a Sonex. Sonex has always treated me right.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby daleandee » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:45 pm

SonexN76ET wrote:I am very glad I decided on a Sonex. Sonex has always treated me right.

For all that is said both here and other places on the internet I do have to agree that Sonex as a company has always treated me right & they sure do have a great handling airplane that is very addictive to fly!

On a bit of a somber note, I only got to speak with Jeremy a few times in person & by email but I really miss him. He was such an asset to Sonex. But I'm certain that I'm not alone with those thoughts and feelings ...

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:32 am

Hi dale, all,
We all feel the same. Jeremy was a huge loss. To his parents, his wife and kids, the city of oshkosh, sonex, eaa , the aviation community. People have alot of fond memories.

WaiexN143NM
Michael.
WaiexN143NM

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:59 pm

Hi all,
Just read the vans site. Very big news thur nov 2. Not posted on dallas avionics or Uavionics web sites yet. Discounted systems on Uavionics systems, plug and play to match navworxs harness, or reg harness. If you go to page 5 of this thread, go to the vans link, then look at the bottom of page and small link for next thread. Hit that scrollthu thepages, it will have the press release and all the info. Maybe someone could post a direct link. Im only on my ipad.
Dana, dont know if you copied down your old serial #. Press release said discount to owners of exp navworx boxes w serial #. But then the question came up about people who paid and never received anything. They dont have a serial #. Discounts about $400. Depending which bundle you pick.
Mike smith you may have jumped the gun.
Andrew P. , press release said something coming for certified units in a couple weeks.
Offer valid till dec 31. Thru dalllas avionics.
Dont throw out the old navworx stuff, as i said john austin is asking the faa to ammend the ad so that the boxes could be used for adsb in only.
Ugh. Anyone else out there have a navworx box besides me, andrew, dana , or mike?

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Gripdana » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:41 pm

Unfortunately I have given up on them. I did not write down the serial number. I do not have the unit and I am out the money. It has been over a year. I am going to strike it up as a lesson learned and take the loss. Getting mad is not going to make it better. I am going to look for another option that will integrate into my current avionics set up. It looks like it will end up costing me about another 4k (and another 3k more if I want to add a moving map to the panel) by the time I am done (7k). I am very disappointed that NavWorx did not put a chip in that was compliant and tried to mess with the FAA. I would have happily paid more for the unit to not have this problem. Life can't always be about the profit margin. I think that was the driving force in this debacle.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:46 am

Hi dana,
We all feel the pain. I wonder how a person like bill moffitt can take everyones money, and just walk away. Leave people in a lerch. I hope life karma bites him good. Alot of people on the vans site gave good kudos to scott edwards / dallas avionics. They took it in the shorts too. Time money and effort wasted. Give scott a call explain your situation, see what he has to offer. People on the vans site said they paid but never got anything so they dont have a serial # either. I talked to scott on the phone. Dallas avionics has a good reputation. I bet he'll be glad to help you out.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:24 pm

Hi all,
We have full dynon in our waiex, very happy with it. Going to swap out the 470 box with the new 472 box. It will have both freq. 978, and 1090. Avbl next spring.
The navwork box was for dads varieze. We are going to go with the uavionics echo uat and skyfox-ext . Compatible with legacy mode c tpx's. Also with many tablets, ipads, ifly, efis units. $350 discount.
Waiting to hear back about john austin's request to the faa to ammend the emergency ad to make the navworx box adsb in only. Disable the transmitter. So no out. People would have to purchase something else adsb out. But no repair or software upgrades ever for the navworks. So that would be a temp. Fix. John is installing the uavionics sky beacon on his zenith 750. The swap out nav lite with blade and nav lite combo unit. Coming out with a strobe version soon too.
Good luck to all. Dana give scott edwards a call. Lots of people on vans site paid full but never got anything. So no serial # either. Check out the Uavionics website. See if its compatible with your existing hardware. Good luck.
Navworx, ie bill moffitt will go down as one of the serial scammers of eaa folks.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion