Update navworx adsb boxes

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Update navworx adsb boxes

Postby fastj22 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:34 am

I thought TIS-B was broadcast to all listeners in range and not only to those broadcasting SIL 3. And if there are no aircraft broadcasting ADS-B out, no TIS-B is broadcast. So I'm not sure how you would not broadcast it to just one receiver. At least that's how I understand it, which of course could be completely incorrect. :?

John Gillis
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger, SkyGuard ADS-B
First flight, 3/16/2013. 350+ hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 4 States landed in: CO, NB, NM, TX, OK, IA, KS, WI, IL, WY
User avatar
fastj22
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:56 pm
Location: Mile High

Re: Update navworx adsb boxes

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:55 am

Hi all,
So let me get this correct. Navworx now saying the FAA didnt show up. LOL. They just keep digging their grave deeper and deeper......................

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:04 am
Location: SF CA, Tucson AZ

Re: Update navworx adsb boxes

Postby Jonathan McGee » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:35 am

fastj22 wrote:I thought TIS-B was broadcast to all listeners in range and not only to those broadcasting SIL 3. And if there are no aircraft broadcasting ADS-B out, no TIS-B is broadcast. So I'm not sure how you would not broadcast it to just one receiver. At least that's how I understand it, which of course could be completely incorrect. :?


TIS-B are ADS-B transmissions from the ground. The FAA will only (re)broadcast traffic within a certain distance of a known ADS-B target. That target must indicate that it is receiving TIS-B on that frequency (this is a pair of bits in one of the packets, 1090ES vs UAT) and meet any requirement the FAA deems necessary (e.g. SIL3).

You are right that anyone can receive those broadcasts, but unless you meet the various requirements, there is no guarantee that the FAA is broadcasting all the traffic relevant to you.
Attempt #2 at this whole Sonex Business.
Waiex-B WXB0019 [Progress reported upon completion]
Jonathan McGee
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:04 am
Location: KPAO

Re: Update navworx adsb boxes

Postby fastj22 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:06 pm

So as long as there is someone transmitting a SIL-3 in the same area you are, you and everyone around you will receive TIS-B. But if you are transmitting a SIL-0, you won't trigger TIS-B on your own. That makes more sense. I sure hope my SkyGuard is sending a SIL-3. I'll send a note to SkyGuard.

John Gillis
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger, SkyGuard ADS-B
First flight, 3/16/2013. 350+ hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 4 States landed in: CO, NB, NM, TX, OK, IA, KS, WI, IL, WY
User avatar
fastj22
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:56 pm
Location: Mile High

Re: Update navworx adsb boxes

Postby fastj22 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:20 pm

Just got a note back from Don at SkyGuard, my unit is broadcasting a SIL-3 code.

John Gillis
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger, SkyGuard ADS-B
First flight, 3/16/2013. 350+ hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 4 States landed in: CO, NB, NM, TX, OK, IA, KS, WI, IL, WY
User avatar
fastj22
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:56 pm
Location: Mile High

Re: Update navworx adsb boxes

Postby Jonathan McGee » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:35 pm

If you have any concerns about your ADS-B status, take a short flight and then use this application from the FAA. It will report back more information than you ever wanted to know (including the SIL).

If you pass, be sure to keep a copy of the report. If you don't pass, yell at whoever sold you the unit and get it fixed.
Attempt #2 at this whole Sonex Business.
Waiex-B WXB0019 [Progress reported upon completion]
Jonathan McGee
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:04 am
Location: KPAO

Re: Update navworx adsb boxes

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:57 pm

Hi all,
The navworx press releases are very telling. First they said that the affected units internal gps receivers met the tech standards, then they offered to replace the internal gps units with ones that other mfgr's are using. Transparency and honesty out the window. I see a company that is in a death spirial. Those of us that own the effected units have paperweights. With all the controversy, i dont see this company surviving. Their reputation is shot. Who would buy anything from this company?
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:04 am
Location: SF CA, Tucson AZ

Re: Update navworx adsb boxes

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:42 pm

Hi all,
Latest update on Navworx/FAA dispute. http://Www.avweb.com . EAA /AOPA asking for a resolve. Lets see what transpires. Im hoping my $1300 box is not a paperweight. A few of you have the adsb boxes too. Keep your fingers crossed for a resolve.
Update article also www.aero-news.net
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:04 am
Location: SF CA, Tucson AZ

Re: Update navworx adsb boxes

Postby mike.smith » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:01 pm

WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi all,
Latest update on Navworx/FAA dispute. http://Www.avweb.com . EAA /AOPA asking for a resolve. Lets see what transpires. Im hoping my $1300 box is not a paperweight. A few of you have the adsb boxes too. Keep your fingers crossed for a resolve.
Update article also http://www.aero-news.net
WaiexN143NM
Michael


They have my $$ but I have no hardware. So I may not even own a paperweight. And I thought having waited a couple years since its inception, they were past the phase of being "questionable".
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Re: Update navworx adsb boxes

Postby fastj22 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:10 pm

mike.smith wrote:
WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi all,
Latest update on Navworx/FAA dispute. http://Www.avweb.com . EAA /AOPA asking for a resolve. Lets see what transpires. Im hoping my $1300 box is not a paperweight. A few of you have the adsb boxes too. Keep your fingers crossed for a resolve.
Update article also http://www.aero-news.net
WaiexN143NM
Michael


They have my $$ but I have no hardware. So I may not even own a paperweight. And I thought having waited a couple years since its inception, they were past the phase of being "questionable".

Did you send them a check and they cashed it? If by card, I'd challenge the charge.

A little bird told me that after they certified their units, they switched to a consumer grade GPS chipset and that is what got the FAA in a twist demanding inspections. The AD on the experimental version seems like punishment.

John Gillis
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger, SkyGuard ADS-B
First flight, 3/16/2013. 350+ hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 4 States landed in: CO, NB, NM, TX, OK, IA, KS, WI, IL, WY
User avatar
fastj22
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:56 pm
Location: Mile High

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest