Update navworx adsb boxes

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Update navworx adsb boxes

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:47 am

Hi mike smith,
When did you purchase this unit ? Have you been in contact with them? Phone calls or emails? Any response? Good luck . Nothing's going to happen fast here. They are going deeper into the abyess.
Yep like john suggested maybe challenge the cc charge. The FAA is not going to be easy on them. But they created this mess. Its funny that they keep fighting the faa over the gps chip. They should have worked WITH the FAA , changed chip to one that complies, allowed access to faa folks, gave up the contact list , and told the faa a program is being instituted to send in the affected boxes, either for swap out or repair. .' Oh the customers!' Lol!

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi all,
As we see hows this plays out, if navworx goes out of business, or refuses to fix the affected units, i wonder if in our experimental aircraft we could modify the navworx adsb boxes our selves by bypassing the installed gps receiver , and using the new trig TN72 certified gps receiver $389, or the dynon gps 2020 $590 , which meets the performance standards. Can we rescue our investment? Some of you electrical savvy guys please advise.
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby mike.smith » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:59 pm

WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi mike smith,
When did you purchase this unit ? Have you been in contact with them? Phone calls or emails? Any response?

No. Emails have been deactivated so they don't even work. No phone calls will go through.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:23 am

Hi all,
Thanks mike. Sounds bad. Phones dont work, emails dont go thru. The company posted a press release dec 17, blaming the FAA of sabatoge. What nonsense. Well i guess the next step is to take the box apart and see if the gps can be rewired/replaced to another unit. What do the rest of you guys think that have one of these units? But then the faa would have to approve because of the AD. Maybe the trig box $389 w faa approval. How did it get this bad?
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby fastj22 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:29 am

WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi all,
Thanks mike. Sounds bad. Phones dont work, emails dont go thru. The company posted a press release dec 17, blaming the FAA of sabatoge. What nonsense. Well i guess the next step is to take the box apart and see if the gps can be rewired/replaced to another unit. What do the rest of you guys think that have one of these units? But then the faa would have to approve because of the AD. Maybe the trig box $389 w faa approval. How did it get this bad?
WaiexN143NM
Michael

You can probably replace the chipset or add an external GPS source, but the software will need to be tweaked. You won't have a prayer trying to hack that. FAA will beat a path to your door if you keep broadcasting a Navwox signal if they shut them down.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi all, john,
Weve got a late model adsb600 exp box , so i would think the software would be set to transmit sil of 3. People that have earlier model boxes that have software set to sil 0 , boy your right, that would be impossible without factory support. Will wait a little longer, see if navworx survives and outcome. Later then send a email to the faa office handleing the navworx cert., see if they would be willing to approve a trig TN72 certified gps unit as the gps source.
As a side note thanks again for your time with the podcasts. Thanks to jeff, gary, and the guest speakers.
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby andrewp » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:16 am

I have one of these boxes I our 182 and not my sonex. Very happy with it BTW.

Not sure it will end well but based on what I hear from the cpa forum i would wait it out before assuming the worst. I also don't agree that navworx are bad actors here at all... it will be a shame if the faa go ahead with the AD but it is just during dumb what they are doing and pretty targeted as there are others in the same position.

Time will tell.
andrewp

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:42 am

Hi all,
Just a quick update. I had 5min direct talk in person with mark baker, pres AOPA the other day. Navworx is done out of business. I've soften my tone a little here too, sounded like a 50/50 share of the blame is faa/navworx. AOPA is working with FAA, and aircraft electronics mfgr's, AEA, to come up with solutions to the 900 adsb boxes that are out there. They are working on it. Somebody will pick up the pieces , as mark put it. Timeline? Cant say. Its too bad it came to this. I shook his hand for the 3rd class medical reform.
One note off this topic, because the other thread got locked. Of the accidents we see in our community, stall/spin, maybe we should all strive to have LRI lift reserve indicators in the panel. No matter what situation we are faced with, you gotta keep it in the green. Ihab, whats going on with airball? Can u enter this years eaa contest again.? Are you still working on a finished unit? Maybe some units for us to test?
Take care everyone, and fly safe.
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby mike.smith » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:34 pm

So what else is out there on the experimental side, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and will display on an Android device via Bluetooth or WiFi?
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi all, mike,
I was checking out the iLevel stuff on line the other day. Take a look mike. Any have this equipment or know any info on these products ?

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion