Making a Single piece Canopy for the Sonex

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Making a Single piece Canopy for the Sonex

Postby Ian Linke » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:28 am

Hi all and Happy New Year to you .

Some time back I was talking to Lynn Jarvis. He said that he was interested in a one piece canopy for his Sonex. Im at the point now where I'm able to consider taking this on. What I do need to know, is if there is enough interest and if so what the builders want in the way of a profile.
I personally like the profile of the existing 2 piece and do not like the American attempt at a 1 piece but if consensus says something different is desired who am I to argue. I traditionally make sail-plane canopies and have just updated my processes and workshop to do larger things . My process is to stretch mould like the Swiss do, so can make any shape. This is a hobby business so it takes time to make moulds and I'm only really interested in doing canopies for types where there are multiple aircraft. i.e a good following.

If you as a group are interested in this , please get together and come up with the desired canopy shape and get back to me . I'm eager to talk to you. The first question of course will be how much, so I will address this now. It will be around the 2K mark, $1800 plus GST . that being said they will be 3 mm thick all over ,annealed for toughness , optically without distortion , will drop right on without a struggle and every one will be identical. If you cant get me on the phone, which is very likely, please leave a message , but email is my preferred way of contact. Email will also auto forward through to me at work. Looking forward to some feedback.

Best Regards,

Ian Linke
Aviation Acrylic Mouldings Pty Ltd.
South Australia
aamoulds@internode.on.net
08 82513780
mob 0414251378
Ian Linke

Re: Making a Single piece Canopy for the Sonex

Postby daleandee » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:35 am

Last edited by daleandee on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daleandee

Postby GordonTurner » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:28 pm

Nevertheless an intriguing idea. With a one piece canopy that had very little distortion the vis would be awesomer. Thinking about mechanism for opening and latching. Seems like it might be awkward or flimsy. Our canopies extend quite far forward.

Peter Anson should be consulted, another Australian who appears on this forum regularly.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby kmacht » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:40 pm

If you want to make some money on sonex canopies I would suggest coming up with a better frame that can be opened in the wind without risk of your canopy being ripped off. The half canopy is tough enough to hold open. I couldn't imagine doing it with a full canopy. You would need to redesign the frame anyway for your full canopy idea as the forward part of the windscreen right now is the top of the firewall.

Keith
kmacht

Postby Corby202 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:45 pm

I like the standard Sonex canopy shape. Presumably a one piece, you would cut the front off and fit separately, this would be a good thing if it improves the optical quality. Being an Aussie I would consider paying 2K for one if my canopy was to ever break (hopefully never). To get a single canopy into Australia would be close to that amount anyway.
As to a frame modification I noticed Mr Anson is working on that very thing. http://www.ansoneng.com/sample-page/pro ... opy-frame/
Phil Bird
Sonex 759 JAB 2.2 Tailwheel
Mittagong NSW Australia
http://www.mykitlog.com/corby202/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78427482@ ... otostream/
Corby202

Postby jowens » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:55 pm

For comparison, what was the price of the Todd's canopy? (I realize it is unlikely to be available ever again).

I may have a small interest in an alternate windscreen with the stock canopy. I havent install my windscreen yet to see how I like the optics.
Jim Owens
Dynon HDX1100, dual controls, Viking 110, taildragger
660 Hours, first flight 10-17-2018
jowens

Postby Ian Linke » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:23 am

Hi all thanks for your feedback . Yes the canopies are top notch german glider standard. The issue I have here is small numbers, so making it worth while is the issue , thus the price . Buying in bulk is always more economical but Im also wanting to supply something unusual better in some peoples opinion , so no it would not be for every builder but I know how frustrating it is flying behind a hoop that is right in your vision from flying the Glasflugel Hornet vs Mosquito sailplanes. I will see how we fare in Australia .

Cheers,

Ian
Ian Linke

Return to General Discussion