Control Stick is loose

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Control Stick is loose

Postby pgerhardt » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:55 pm

The last two condition inspections have mentioned loose control stick. Today I removed the AN-4 bolt that mounts the control sticks and the bolt is not worn much but it is a loose fit and there is maybe 3/8 inch of side to side play. The other stick is about the same. It feels like the holes are a bit larger than 1/4" I am looking to tighenten up the attachment. Have any of you done this?

Am thinking of; tightening the bolt more -- which will bend the side tabs but maybe tighten it up, drilling it out to the next size AN5, or trying to source a taper bolt and reamer. Some sort of 'glue'?

The rest of the linkages are mostly good except the tail wheel steering rod is dogging out the holes and wearing the AN3 bolts which I have changed for now but am looking at Peter Anson's tailwheel strut later.

Missed OSH again but it looked great again!

Paul

N148YX
pgerhardt

Re: Control Stick is loose

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:24 am

Paul,
If it was me I would go with the taper pin.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby andrewp » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:48 am

I also have only one pair of words: taper pins! Works for me...
andrewp

Postby Fastcapy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:51 am

I had the exact same issue. The taper pin took care of the issue and took all the slop out of the sticks!

Also, it is really worth the time to install a different tailwheel pushrod with Aurora rod ends on it. I don't recommend what myself and others have been told by the factory to remedy this issue, which was to leave the bolts loose to allow some play in that pushrod connection...

I can't believe that Sonex has not updated these two things in the plans as they are an issue well known for some time now.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:00 am

Hi all,
Yes good upgrades are to put taper pins in the control sticks , and for waiex drivers, a taper pin in the mixer control in the back. For the tailwheel steering link, ball ends are a good start. Blake from fly boy accessories is making up a custom spring loaded link rod for me. Its listed for rv drivers , but is a little long. If i remember correctly total length is 11 3/4. Measured the polished canadian taildragger sonex next to their booth behind vans display at airventure. It had an italian water cooled engine 105 hp. Didnt know if many of you saw this, was kind of hidden. The spring loaded link will allow for rod link length changes as the tailwheel rod flexes.

Cheers
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Bruce593SX » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:56 am

Have not heard of Taper pins, a size or detailed description of what you are using?
Bruce Johnson
Sonex 593 AeroVee Turbo
Plans building near San Antonio, TX
Bruce593SX

Postby waiking59 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:11 am

The Waiex mixer uses a taper pin but you will likely need a larger one if your existing hole is wallowed out. Some sizes are available from ACS

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/se ... &x=28&y=13

I used them on my control sticks too. I used a taper pin washer ground down to fit the stick for a good fit.
waiking59

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:19 am

Hi all , Bruce,
Aircraft spruce has them . Different diameters and length. Also a special washer to go on the threaded end. In the catalog. Maybe online if you try the search feature . Size we used? Cant remember. Up at Lake Superior, plane in Tucson, sorry can't look. Maybe someone else can help out and chime in. They do the trick , no slop. Also you'll need to purchase the correct tapered reamer.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby pgerhardt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:34 pm

Thanks for all the comments.. Think will try the taper pin route if I can figure out the sizes. Original bolt is AN4.

Am looking at either the -3 or -4 taper pin I think?

[url]https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an386taperpin.php/url]

On the tailwheel steering strut I think I am going to get the Peter Anson one. Look at bottom of page.

[url]http://www.ansoneng.com/sample-page/products-summary/6-pneumatic-tailwheel-to-suit-sonex//url]
pgerhardt

Postby Sonex1517 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:14 pm

Eric Seber documented this process here:

http://www.sonexfoundation.com/uploads/Seber_Taper_Pin_Installation.pdf

Somewhere in the community is a taper pin reamer available as a loaner - last I knew it was in the hands of Bryan Cotton, but I think he loaned it to someone.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Next

Return to General Discussion