Aileron Stops

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Aileron Stops

Postby Direct C51 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:07 am

I am having a bit of trouble with my aileron stops. As it is now, my left aileron limit is the rod on the part below the stick (I can't remember the plans name for this part) that contacts the control frame and functions as a stop. The right aileron limit is the counterweight contacting the lower wing skin. I rigged the aileron bellcranks per the plans, the ailerons have the appropriate range of motion per the plans, and the sticks are straight up with neutral ailerons. I am confused on how to fix this. I thought the phenolic in the bellcrank was the stop, so I tried adjusting the right bellcrank so that it would hit the phneolic at full travel, and it greatly reduced the range on the left aileron and threw everything off. Has anyone else had this problem? What limits your ailerons?
Direct C51

Re: Aileron Stops

Postby peter anson » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:52 am

The little peg on the control stick does act as a stop on my Sonex. I glued a short length of neoprene hose on it to act as a cushion.

Peter
peter anson

Postby Direct C51 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Peter, those stops limit your ailerons on both sides? I would have to change the right side rigging quite a bit to get the right stop to hit at upper aileron limit.
Direct C51

Postby gammaxy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:24 pm

This happened to me too. I wanted the phenolic blocks to be the stops so I ended up making at least one new bellcrank with the holes in the same place but the outline expanded to allow it to hit the phenolic block at the limit. I don't use any stops at the control stick.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby Corby202 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:30 pm

I also used short pieces of neoprene as stops, think I cable tied mine on.
Phil Bird
Sonex 759 JAB 2.2 Tailwheel
Mittagong NSW Australia
http://www.mykitlog.com/corby202/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78427482@ ... otostream/
Corby202

Postby peter anson » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Peter, those stops limit your ailerons on both sides? I would have to change the right side rigging quite a bit to get the right stop to hit at upper aileron limit.

I think you should be able to get the peg centered by adjusting the lengths of the long aileron push rods - I have the single control stick. If you have dual sticks it should still be possible, but if the frame is not accurately made (that couldn't happen could it?) the sticks might not be exactly vertical in the neutral position.

Just trying to think of a reasons for one aileron being limited by the wing skin and the other not - The aileron bell-cranks are to be set at an angle of 25 degrees with the ailerons in the neutral position (Drawing SNX-W02, View G-G). If that angle is not correct you could end up with a lot more deflection one way than the other.

Peter
peter anson

Postby Darick » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:32 am

I have a temporary problem ....brain freeze, undoubtedly caused by the bitter cold here in the northeast. I can't figure out a logical starting point for aileron throw adjustment, i.e. getting the correct amount of up/down movement and end up with the the stick centered.

I started by setting the ailerons in the neutral position (as measured by the method in the plans) and adjusting the long push tubes to get the stick centered. Up aileron was short by about 4 degrees and down too much. Every time I adjust a push tube it throws something else out. Seems like I'm chasing my tail.

Can someone give me a jump start...starting point? Advice?

Thanks
(...yes I have been flying it this way for 3 hours)
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Postby Area 51% » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:47 pm

To the 99.9% of the people out there that are smarter than me.........please ignore this.

I just got done (last week) setting that elusive 25deg angle. I made a fixture that clamped to the bellcrank and contacted the rib at the 25deg mark. I knew all the ribs faced the same direction on both wings, but I had forgotten, and it surprised me a little when I noticed the fixture touched the hole flange on one wing.........and the side of the rib of the other. I had to adjust the width of the wedge accordingly.

Here's my point/question. If geometry is your thing and you came up with a dimension from the control rod attaching hole to the rib face to set the angle, it should throw one or the other off.......right? Any chance this might be happening?

Sharing random thoughts while waiting for the missing Aerovee parts to show up here @Area 51%.
Area 51%

Postby Rynoth » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Interesting, mine definitely stop when the counterweights press the wing skins. This is in a Waiex with dual sticks. Is yours a single stick?
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Area 51% » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:13 pm

Too soon to tell if the control tree stops will do their jobs, but I did find the counter-weight mounts contacting the edge of the rear spar relief hole before the weights touched the skin. On both wings, the weights came up about 1/2in shy of the skin when the arms were stopped by the edge of the hole.

I'm sure a little clearancing will be in order to get full deflection on this project. Something to look into if you have more uppie or downie on one aileron than the other.
Area 51%

Next

Return to General Discussion