Fuel level

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Fuel level

Postby mike.smith » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:48 pm

peter anson wrote: The sight tube as shown in the Sonex plans is not much use. I extended mine further down than shown in the plans but it is not easy to read quickly and unless it shows quantity for the whole tank I think it's a waste of time.

To each their own. I've never had any issues reading the fuel level (closed the orifice as suggested in the Sonex plans, and put a barber pole graphic behind the tube). I have a fuel flow sender (Gold Cube) that now works better (I moved it from after the fuel filter to before the fuel filter), but still LOVE the visual plastic sight gauge. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to get rid of it. It's never wrong and gives me piece of mind that I really know how much fuel I have.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby WaiexN143NM » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:24 pm

Hi all,
Was in europe on vacation for a month. Read the posts daily. As for the fuel level issue, we have a dynon set up, and the princeton probe. Works well and accurate. Only 100LL.
Not a fan of the plans tubing set up. First of all are people using actual fuel line, or hardware store tubing. .? Tubing hardens and yellows over time. And another failure point for fuel leaks in cockpit, especially if in incident/accident.
Just putting out there what worked for us. As mike smith said, to each his own.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby mike.smith » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:57 pm

WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi all,
First of all are people using actual fuel line, or hardware store tubing. .?

Fuel tubing. Anything else is suicide. After 3-1/2 years my plastic fuel tubing is still as supple as it was on day 1. I did some tests with it, and some tests with hardware store bought tubing, left in a jar of 100LL. After only a few weeks the store bought tubing was brittle and could be cracked by bending it. Fuel tubing is made for fuel (duh!) and has no issues. If you don't know if it's fuel tubing or not, DON'T USE IT!
Last edited by mike.smith on Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby DCASonex » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:57 am

Originally had sight gauge plus Princeton sensor plus red cube. Found red cube and Princeton sensor both accurate and tubing for sight gauge soon hardened and got brittle so removed that. Would not hesitate to use the red cube as primary if backed up by means to peek under glare shield via small camera to confirm. Only problem with red cube or any means that monitors flow and not level, is remembering to reset level when filing tank. As to where to put that red cube, have heard many ideas, mine contradicts most in that i have it after mechanical and electrical pumps, on a 3300, and just before the Bing carb. I do have long solid aluminum tube running half way across firewall and then making U turn back again running into the red cube. Electrical backup fuel pump if left on, especially at low RPM, will slightly alter the red cube's reading.

David A.
DCASonex

Previous

Return to General Discussion