Camit 3300 40 amp alt.

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Camit 3300 40 amp alt.

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi all,
A few of you out there were lucky enough to get a camit 3300 before they clsd their doors.ive found a jab 3300 camit upgrade 40 amp alt. For sale. Brand new in box. Ian bent at oshkosh told me he designed the mount to clear the legacy sonex/waiex/xenos engine mount. The rotec upgrade alt. Wont clear. Any of you guys have any trouble swapping out your engines? David, bob, larry ?

If any of you are looking for corvair engine parts, the zenith classified site always has some stuff for sale there. Www.zenair.com. Good luck.

Be good and fly safe.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Re: Camit 3300 40 amp alt.

Postby DCASonex » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:37 am

My very early CAMit has the flywheel alternator, but followed development of the external alternators. There are two versions of the 40 amp mount. Original was mounted on top where we have the fuel filler box. The side mount, next to cylinder #5, version was developed with Sonex in mind, but it requires also modifying the fuel pump mounting. If you are using an AeroCarb and no fuel pump, this will not be necessary. I was about to opt for the new external 15 amp unit for less weight and to avoid compromised fuel pump mounting (Am using Bing.) Have some early CAMit drawings of the side mount 40 amp version, but no photos, PM if interested.

David A. CAMit 3300 #0004
DCASonex

Postby racaldwell » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:37 pm

Hi David,

I do have the 40A mount configured for the Sonex. The engine is still in the crate in my den at home waiting on me to build the fuselage so I don't see the interferences you are referring to. Do you have any dwgs on what is needed to the fuel pump? I plan to start out with the bing.

I will be putting a contactor in the B lead that will open at 16V for my overvoltage protection for the Earthx and other stuff.

Rick
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby WaiexN143NM » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:10 pm

Hi rick,
What davids refering to is camit had 2 mounting brackets for the 40 amp alt. one was the big spider web bracket on the back of the engine. Sits at the top. Belt driven. The trouble is in that location it will interfer with the fuel filler box /fuel neck. Ian bent at camit came up with a side mount for us sonex guys to fit under the #5 cyl . The problem is u cant use the fuel pump without some type of mod. David may know more on that. No problem for us , we are running gravity feed w a rotec tbi, no fuel pump. I'll make my own side bracket from davids/camit's drawings. The person i bought it from has the spider mount top location. He was going to use it on a zenith 601XL .
How is your xenos build coming?

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby racaldwell » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi Michael,

Do I need the fuel pump with the Bing? Seems to me that a float bowl would have less of a need for a pump in a gravity system than TBI but I don't know that. Ian built up my engine in January the yr. they closed shop. It is a Sonex build so the alt. & exhaust should clear, I hope.

I am currently mounting the tailwheel weldment in the tail. Then I'll flip the box over this weekend and drill the bottom skin in place. Things have gone together fast the last few weekends assembling the fuselage box. Here is a picture of the first weekend of putting it together:

Rick
Xenos 0057
Melbourne, Fl
Attachments
Aft Fuselage Crossties Sm.jpg
Starting to look like something
racaldwell

Postby DCASonex » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:56 am

Rick,
Yes you do need the fuel pump with Bing Carb. Most of Ian's experience was with high wing Jabiru air frames, and he found little need for the pump and supplied first engines with weaker spring in the pump. My engine was the first CAMit in a Sonex. I can attest that it is a wee bit disconcerting to see fuel pressure drop to zero when when switching off the auxiliary electric pump. Later engines were supplied with the stronger spring.
If you either purchased the engine with the side mounted 40 amp alternator, or ordered it later for retrofit, you should have the necessary fuel pump mounting adapter. PM me and I will send you a couple of Ian's early drawings showing this. Photos and diagram in the service manual only show the top mounted alternator. There was also a nice lightweight and compact 15 amp alternator developed that did not require modified fuel pump mount. Was just about to order than when CAMit went poof.

David A
DCASonex

Return to General Discussion