Center stick conversion ?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Center stick conversion ?

Postby Archer123 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Question from a "newbie" looking at a completed 2008 vintage Sonex that is for sale.

Can the single "center stick" arrangement be converted to a "dual stick" arrangement without major issues ?

Thanks !
Archer123

Re: Center stick conversion ?

Postby Sid » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:49 pm

I don't really know the answer to your question. My plane has the center stick and once I got used to it, I like it fine. I would suggest you try it before going to the trouble and expense of converting it.
Sid

Postby SonexN76ET » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:05 pm

I have a center stick and I like it. I also think it is safer than a dual stick as it would not injure your private parts in a hard landing. You also have the option of sitting in the middle to fly from the center line if desired. There is also less friction in a center stick as you have fewer moving parts. An F-16 and a Harrier have sticks on the right side of the pilot so you still have a fighter like control arrangement with the center stick. It is also easier to get in and out of the cockpit.

When building I was having second thoughts about the center stick and it would have cost about $1500 to change over to dual sticks. You need new control rods and on the left and right and a new control apparatus for mounting the dual sticks. You will also need to modify the seat plan. Anyway, I am now glad I stayed with the center stick. I like it better.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby cliffrunkle » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:08 pm

I love the Center stick and would not change a thing... imho
cliffrunkle

Postby Sonex570 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:49 pm

Archer123 wrote:Question from a "newbie" looking at a completed 2008 vintage Sonex that is for sale.

Can the single "center stick" arrangement be converted to a "dual stick" arrangement without major issues ?

Thanks !

My vote definitely "Center stick"
N570SX
Center Stick TD
120HP Corvair STEEL-X
1956 PA22-150
1999 CGS Hawk Arrow
CX4 Trigear (Aerovee with GP Crank)
Sky Cycle trike
Gyrocopter
Pittsburgh PA
Sonex570

Postby Archer123 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:56 pm

Wow.... Thanks much for all the thoughtful input and fast replies ! Much appreciated...
Archer123

Postby daleandee » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:17 pm

I'm a huge advocate of & for the center stick for a few reasons, safety first of all. I had a center stick in my nose roller VW powered version and now in my Corvair powered tail dragger. But perhaps one of the best reasons for me personally is space. Some time ago on another forum far away I wrote concerning how the center stick was part of my personal endeavor to maximize the small space of the Cleanex cockpit.

Before anyone asks, here is an edited version of those notes:

In my Cleanex (notorious for a small cockpit area) I tried to do everything possible to maximize that available space. These things included:

1) Using the factory 30º tilt for the panel for more space between pilot/passenger. This is a safety issue as in a forward crash as there is more room before the panel stops your face from its forward motion as opposed to a vertical panel that moves it closer to the occupants.

2) Maximize side width i.e. some builders install a "tilt back canopy" but that requires the supporting arms to come down on each side next to the pilot and passenger and takes up space.

3) Single center stick. This leaves the option of flying left or center seat. Another bonus (known only to experienced Sonex pilots) is that the center stick/left seat position prevents the stall warning device known as "the control stick triangle meets Mr. Johnson when using full back stick." Single center stick leaves a lot more room in the cockpit and makes entry and egress easier.

4) Not putting sub panels under the main panel that blocks legroom. Others have also extended the entire panel lower but again that takes up leg room and cramps the cockpit.

5) Trying to prevent placing items on the glareshield. Doing so blocks vision and gives the cockpit a smaller appearance.

6) Placing all the controls on the left. Makes flying safer (no "hand dance" with the controls) and gives much more room than center mounted controls.

7) Using the plans side mounted trim lever instead of a big red "Dial-A-Trim" knob sticking out of the panel.

8) Using the factory canopy. Todd's Canopies makes a canopy that is a bit taller but the sides are not as roomy and it had a weird shape overall. The factory canopy mounted as high as possible to get a good line to match the turtle deck to cowling transition was my choice.

9) A single layer of cushion. It is adequate and if more is needed for a longer cross country flight it can be added.

10) Using a Clarity Aloft headset that gives me room to wear a full brim hat and keep the sun off my ears and neck!

I'm using the factory interior but with my ideas implemented it leaves as much room as possible, doesn't have a great weight penalty, and it's very easy to remove. Here's what I arrived at:

FWIW,

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
166.7 hours / Status - Flying
Member # 109 - Florida Sonex Association
daleandee

Postby Archer123 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:18 am

Got it - You all have convinced me...I"m sold on the center stick !

Thanks !
Archer123

Postby dbdevkc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:35 am

Dale,

You wrote:
In my Cleanex (notorious for a small cockpit area)...

Is there any reason with the Corvair the cockpit is any smaller than with other engines?

Thanks,
Kevin
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby avee8r » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:40 am

When I bought my partially completed kit, it had a dual stick. After seeing a completed Sonex in Montreal that had a center stick, I sold off my dual stick parts and built it center stick. I've never regretted it, even doing rolls!

Happy Landings
John
N50NX
avee8r

Next

Return to General Discussion