Dual stick control frame

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Dual stick control frame

Postby Area 51% » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:07 pm

On the C05-08 control stick frame, there are two tabs that are welded to it. One favors the lower part of the frame and looks like a washer. I have no idea what it's for.

There is another at the top and offset to the right that is in the shape of a triangle. I believe I've identified it as the elevator trim spring attach point.

Here's the thing.........after putting together the whole assembly, I've found that the C05-07 control stick link comes in contact with that triangular tab before the aileron stop on the C04-08 control stick horn touches the frame. The stop comes up just under 1/8in short of the frame with right hand stick deflection, and everything (link/tab-aileron stop/frame)touches at about the same time with the sticks to the left.

If I were to turn the control stick link upside down (opposite of what the plans show) there would be no interferance with the tab in question.

What is the purpose of the control stick link ends being offset from the centerline of the tube in the first place? The only reason I can see is clearance for the rod that goes to the idler. I've not fitted the assembly to the airframe as yet, so no clearance issues are apparent to me.

At first blush....it would appear that a tube with heim joints would make a better link for connecting the stick horns, than the flat plates with bushings.

Not trying to re-invent the wheel.......just trying to get it to make a revolution without rubbing on something here @Area 51%
Area 51%

Re: Dual stick control frame

Postby Rynoth » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:20 pm

I had the same question when I first assembled my control frame, but it turned out that the aileron stop limits were more airframe limited (the aileron counterweights) and the triangle tab was not an issue for aileron travel.

I DID however have an issue with the triangular tab contacting the bottom of the seat pan. I ultimately removed the tab and re-purposed the autopilot servo attachment (that's the "washer" like tab lower on the frame) for my trim spring. I haven't flown yet so there's still a chance this wasn't an ideal solution to my problem, in case the trim spring no longer enough leverage. Others have raised their seat pan to avoid this contact issue.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:50 pm

My trim spring mount seems to have fallen off.
https://youtu.be/-p55BM25Guo
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Area 51% » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:38 pm

A note to Kerry confirmed Ryan's thoughts about the aileron stops being in the wings, not at the frame. I forgot to ask Kerry what the pins welded to the horns were there for, but the washer is for a counter-balance bungee if the dial-a-trim is not used.
Area 51%

Return to General Discussion