Ceramic exhaust coatng

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Ceramic exhaust coatng

Postby peter anson » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:49 am

I'm pretty sure a few people have had their exhausts ceramic coated. I'm wondering how effective/useful/long-lasting the process is.

Peter
peter anson

Re: Ceramic exhaust coatng

Postby avee8r » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:00 am

Hi Peter

I sent my exhaust out to "Jet Hot" for coating. This is the metal coating process that are used on race cars to keep the heat inside of the pipes and thus, out of the engine compartment.

It works as advertised for me. I've not had any heat related issues such as vapor lock etc... I do still have a gascolator too.

My Sonex has been flying since 2012 and there hasn't been any deterioration of the coating that I can see.

I do caution you to one thing. The coating works so well that it won't provide an adequate heat source if you want to use a heat muff for carburetor or cabin heat.

Happy Landings
John
N50NX
avee8r

Postby n307tw » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:08 am

John,

That sounds like a really good idea. I've heard of headers being "Jet Hotted" before but never had any personal experience. Do you mind sharing how much it cost you to get the coating done? Thanks.

-Tim
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

Postby Spinnetti » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:49 am

Ceramic coating (inside and out) of plain steel reduces temps and increases gas flow velocity which is good for power along with corrosion reduction. Or, you could get similar benefit by just building your exhaust out of stainless. 304 is good, 321 even better. I Jet coated my race car header. Looked nice, but eventually baked off at the first bend off the cylinder head. There's some interesting info on the Burns Stainless site about exhaust, including a link to some EAA/FAA research on exhaust in general.
Spinnetti

Postby avee8r » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:57 pm

My receipt shows I paid $165 for the coating process and $35 return shipping for the 4 non-turbo exhaust pieces in 2011.

Although Jet Hot HQ address was in NC, it indicates shipping to and from Oklahoma.

Happy Landings
John
N50NX
avee8r

Ceramic exhaust coatng

Postby n307tw » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:36 am

Thanks John - not bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

Postby jeff0196 » Sat May 05, 2018 10:51 pm

I remember reading this topic awhile back. I'm thinking about getting my turbo exhaust header coated. The question I have, is if anyone has tried this before. The turbo exhaust fits very poorly and needs to be forcefully flexed into place. Does anyone have any experience with flexing coated pipes? Does the coating flex with the pipes or does it crack?

And if so do you know if you have the 1300 or the 2500 coating. Thanks.
Jeffrey W
Waiex 0196
AeroVee Turbo
jeff0196

Postby kevinh » Mon May 07, 2018 5:35 pm

My exhaust fit fairly meh at first. But a bit of pressure with a jack and some 2x4s allowed me to tweak it so it fit the engine pretty nicely with no need for flexing to install it.
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby Mike661 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:48 pm

I wanted to put it out there I can do the ceramic coating. If anyone is interested I can send a picture of a exhaust I just did for my friends Titan. Send me a PM I can give you price. I almost forgot the stuff can handle temperatures over 2000 degrees it pretty amazing stuff. I have silver in stock and can do black and chrome.
Mike661

Postby Tnhelm » Tue May 08, 2018 9:34 am

I’m interested if it will reduce cowling temperature. I’m building OneX 137 and completing the aerovee engine build now. Interested in cost and shipping. Silver would be fine. Also considering installing heat shields on the exhaust piping to prevent radiant heat exposing the fuel lines and aeroinjector.
Tnhelm

Next

Return to General Discussion