The Value Issue?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: The Value Issue?

Postby rk2436 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:46 am

Your not going to build a Sonex for 40k equipped like a RV-12. The basic RV airframe kit is about 4K more than the latest B models. Include a new Jab or Rotax and equivalent avionics and and you'll be close to 60k in a Sonex. You would be very lucky to get 30k. Maybe in the past when the kit was 13k but not now. Ask me,I've built both. Bob K
Bob K
Orig builder kit 1143
Now flying RV-12
Evergreen Park,Il
rk2436

Postby SonexN76ET » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:00 pm

I would still pick a Sonex over an RV-12. The RV-12 is non-aerobatic, slow, and ugly. I built my airplane to fly, not to sell.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby gcm52 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:00 pm

If you want value, just take the opposite end of the losing transaction, i.e., buy a meticulously built homebuilt for 70 cents on the parts dollar with the labor thrown in for free. I think a well built homebuilt from a "builder" not a "flyer" is the best value in aviation.
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Postby Spinnetti » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:05 pm

gcm52 wrote:If you want value, just take the opposite end of the losing transaction, i.e., buy a meticulously built homebuilt for 70 cents on the parts dollar with the labor thrown in for free. I think a well built homebuilt from a "builder" not a "flyer" is the best value in aviation.

Yep, just look for a serial builder... I probably lean more towards the building than flying myself lol.
Spinnetti

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:10 pm

This is just my two cents, and probably not even worth that, but when looking at used aircraft values for Somex as well as a lot of LSA sized experimental’s, it’s simply supply & demand. There are a lot of Sonexes flying now (well over 500) and there’s more and more used ones for sale, combined with less demand. That may attributed to age of the builder group at large, concerns with non-certified engines, BasicMed allowing the Bonanza/Cirrus/Skylane guys to keep their airplanes, or simply the fact that these new generation kits are so quick and easy to build, people want to build their own so they can get the Repairman’s certificate.

I’m not sure how BasicMed is helping general aviation as a whole, but I have to assume it’s doing nothing to help the LSA crowd. Even the homebuilt friendly guys can now stick with their RV’s and Lancairs; there’s no reason to build a Sonex, Zenith, etc.

Personally I don’t see this is as a Sonex issue; looking over Barnstormers today I can see a lot of flying Zenith 650’s also for sale between $20-25K that look nice. I haven’t priced the kits but I’d have to assume that’s just over half of the total build cost. Even the RV-12’s are dropping in price recently. There were several for sale in the low $60K’s which, I believe, is less than the total kit cost.

Let’s not forget when someone is looking for a used airplane to purchase, most pilots in general are scared of Experimentals. Now that Skyhawks, Warriors, etc can be purchased and flown without medicals that seems to be the direction a lot of people are going.

Thankfully I agree with Jake; I built my airplane how I want it and even though I’m always tinkering with something on it, I’m thankful it costs me nothing but parts to work on!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby John Monnett » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:49 pm

MichaelFarley56 wrote:This is just my two cents, and probably not even worth that, but when looking at used aircraft values for Somex as well as a lot of LSA sized experimental’s, it’s simply supply & demand. There are a lot of Sonexes flying now (well over 500) and there’s more and more used ones for sale, combined with less demand. That may attributed to age of the builder group at large, concerns with non-certified engines, BasicMed allowing the Bonanza/Cirrus/Skylane guys to keep their airplanes, or simply the fact that these new generation kits are so quick and easy to build, people want to build their own so they can get the Repairman’s certificate.

I’m not sure how BasicMed is helping general aviation as a whole, but I have to assume it’s doing nothing to help the LSA crowd. Even the homebuilt friendly guys can now stick with their RV’s and Lancairs; there’s no reason to build a Sonex, Zenith, etc.

Personally I don’t see this is as a Sonex issue; looking over Barnstormers today I can see a lot of flying Zenith 650’s also for sale between $20-25K that look nice. I haven’t priced the kits but I’d have to assume that’s just over half of the total build cost. Even the RV-12’s are dropping in price recently. There were several for sale in the low $60K’s which, I believe, is less than the total kit cost.

Let’s not forget when someone is looking for a used airplane to purchase, most pilots in general are scared of Experimentals. Now that Skyhawks, Warriors, etc can be purchased and flown without medicals that seems to be the direction a lot of people are going.

Thankfully I agree with Jake; I built my airplane how I want it and even though I’m always tinkering with something on it, I’m thankful it costs me nothing but parts to work on!

Mike, I can’t agree more with your assessment! Too many airplanes, so many choices...to little pilots does not bode well for our passion. Unfortunately, we have seen a golden age pass through our fleeting slipstream... now, only headwinds prevail.
John Monnett

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:02 pm

I could have bought a C140 for less than my Waiex will cost me to build, but I wanted to build. I am not building to sell.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby nwawingman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:54 pm

How do you value your Sonex? This is how I value mine. I thought it would be the coolest thing ever to build an Airpane! It was! I thought it would be wonderful to fly a plane I built! It is! I thought I would save money on repairs and maintenance. This is an understatement! These are the initial reasons I had. Here are the bonus things I could not realized if I had just went the normal route and bought an airplane. Grit. The dig deep and finish something you start. The feelings you get from doing something very few people can say they have done. The support of family and friends to see you though. I have formed life long friendships while building the Sonex that I would not have known otherwise. Not sure how you can put a value on my Sonex!
Rick Wantz - Arkansas
Sonex 367 T/W AeroVee/Aeroinjector - Prince Elliptical Prop <361hrs
1st Flight 7/13 KOSHX3 Young EaglesX14
http://www.mykitlog.com/wingman
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2TNLK ... A63FvnPkNA
nwawingman

Postby daleandee » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:24 am

As many others have noted ... I didn't build my Cleanex to sell and I have no plans to do that. Having said all that; it is for sale as all airplanes are. Just break out the big wad and keep peeling off those big bills and at some point, if you continue stroking over large amounts of folding money, you'll receive a set of keys. 8~)

More seriously, I have had a couple of folks over the years make me a serious offer to purchase my airplane as they insisted it was exactly what they would have built. I've never really considered letting it go. I guess at some point I'll not have enough gray matter working correctly to justify keeping it but at that time I'm hoping a child or grandchild will be ready to put it to good use for the next generation. But I'm hoping, Good Lord willing, that my great health continues and I can fly for a number of years into the future ... at least as long as we can get gas!

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
171.2 hours / Status - Flying
Member # 109 - Florida Sonex Association
Latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP7UYEqQ-g
daleandee

Postby edclee » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:45 pm

Well, I guess I took advantage of a low resale price to buy an uncompleted project with a 120 hp 3200 cc Corvair engine. I had to change some things on the engine very early where the builder did not follow proven methods and parts and also had to change numerous things on the airframe, but after more than 4000 hours of flying singles and twins I have fallen in love with flying all over again. I love the Sonex and the Corvair. This is the engine the airframe needs. I fly at 150 mph on 6 gal/hr with 10 gallons additional in the wings. I licensed it at 1320lbs and have flown all the 40 hours at that weight after the first few flights. It stalls at 44 indicated with flaps. and 50 clean. I fly it out of a grass strip 2800 feet with 50 foot trees either end. I fly at 1320 lbs with my wife and luggage and 27 gallons of fuel in August with no issues. A friend of mine who has a vw sonex is now building a corvair to put in this after flying mine. He was amazed. I have 250 trouble free hours with cool CHTs. Sonex Aircraft is missing a good bet here. You can build a first rate Corvair for $10k buy one professionally build for $13000, but it is easy to build one with the kind of technical support available from at least two teaching sources. If you have to fix it or overhaul it, it is virtually peanuts. You could do a complete overhaul for what one cylinder and piston costs for a Continental or Lycoming. If you have doubts, come and fly mine...I can convince you that a Corvair is what you need!
Ed Lee
Sonex 1212, nosedragger
Wing tanks
Licensed August 2016
edclee

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion