wheel pant fit

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

wheel pant fit

Postby 1labelloj » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:21 pm

It looks like to me my wheel pants need to be trimmed up on the front bottom. Is that something others are experiencing?
1labelloj

Re: wheel pant fit

Postby mike.smith » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:35 pm

Trimmed "up"? Not sure what you are describing.I have a tail dragger so I had to angle mine with the front a bit higher than the rear, when sitting on the ground. I tried to align mine so they were horizontal when the plane was in level flight. But I didn't do any trimming.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby 1labelloj » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:21 pm

Well after studying it more it looks like I have the backing plates flip flopped (left on right and right on left). If that is true then I just was confused by the drawings. I have the hydraulic brakes. The only way to know if I am right is to drain the brake fluid, disassemble and refit.

Anyone else have this issue?
1labelloj

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:32 am

hi guy,
this has been posted a few times before. check the fit of the alum sonex install plates, front/back , l eft/right, top/bottom. you should see immediately if the plate angles look correct.
a few mods to consider, 1) purchase the steel backing plates from tracy obrien, or make your own. you can use the welded steel tab on the axel as an index. take to your local welding shop if tig welding not avbl to you.you will be able to pick up 3 holes for bolts. some hav e had the single tab break off.
2) use the dorman products check valve brake bleeders. easy to bleed the brakes yourself. avbl at auto parts stores. 3) the bleeders should face the front and slightly angled up. we cut the corner off the top front alum wheel pant mounting plate so it is easy to get a wrench on the bleeder valve. dont be afraid to move the mounting holes to the pants. 4 ar e good.
4) the wheel pants may need a bigger cut out than is shown on the plans. to slip them on/off easily.
5) the wheel pants will eventually need some beef up inside with some add. layers of glass. the 4 wheel opening corners, and the axel hole. proactive glassing if you wish. it will be now or later. easy to due now before the pants get all dirty inside. ie mud and black brake dust.
the plates from the install kit may mount different if tri gear or taildragger.

let us know how it goes or if you have any more questions.

cheers

michael.
WaiexN143NM

Return to General Discussion