What's the stupidest thing you did during the build?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: What's the stupidest thing you did during the build?

Postby hickej » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:26 pm

Dropped a screw driver across live wires and inadvertently tested my circuit breaker!
Hey, we’re only human :)
-Jim
hickej

Postby nwawingman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:04 am

Trying to save a few bucks not using the Sonex recommenced prop. This not only cost more money in the end after needing to switch back to a recommended prop, it also put me at great risk during the test flight. Do yourself a favor and stick to the plans and Sonex recommendations! Remember they did lots of testing. Oh, and somethings are worth spending money on. I learned my lesson.
Rick Wantz - Arkansas
Sonex 367 T/W AeroVee/Aeroinjector - Prince Elliptical Prop <361hrs
1st Flight 7/13 KOSHX3 Young EaglesX14
http://www.mykitlog.com/wingman
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2TNLK ... A63FvnPkNA
nwawingman

Postby x3 skier » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:41 am

Not having wounded myself........yet, the stupidest thing was assuming I would finish when I thought I would. As that date fades into history, I just keep at it and the fun of building continues. It’s really enjoyable and as each page of the plans is checked off and the block in the drawing tree is filled in, I’m happier I chose my Onex.

Cheers
Onex 202, Finishing Fuselage Kit, Controls/Gear/Engine Config kit delivered.
x3 skier

Postby mike.smith » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:47 am

As a scratch builder I had to bend my own wing skins. After getting the initial bend I tried to bend it further with a 2x4 and ended up putting a dent and crease in the leading edge, the exact shape of the 2x4. I couldn't get it out, plus I have polished wings and so could not add filler. So that was a $100 sheet of aluminum that had to get repurchased, with all the time required to create a new skin with rivet holes.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby DCASonex » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:15 am

Stupidest thing I did during airplane project was to start with a Zenith CH-650 only to find out about its folding (in flight) wing problem. Sold it, got Sonex, much stronger air frame. Have drilled and mashed fingers but not as part of building any plane.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby peter anson » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:27 pm

WesRagle wrote:OK,

Since it seems common enough, I'll fess up. I thought I could clamp a nylon block firmly in my hand while drilling. Needless to say, it didn't end well. The bit went right through the plastic and most of the way through the middle finger of my left hand. Now the funny part. I have an non-reversing air drill. It's just habit to goose the drill to back it out of a hole. The second scream was louder than the first.

Wes

Sorry Wes, I really did laugh at this, even the second time I read it.
My own mistakes were many and only financially painful. The one that hurt the most was trying to bend a wing nose skin by vacuum bagging. Unfortunately I had made an error in the layout of the pilot holes and had the forward-most row of holes 0.2" further forward than they should be. It didn't matter for riveting but it meant that the holes were that bit closer to the intended bend location. The skin bent sharply at that row of holes so scratch 1 sheet plus all the work of cutting it out and on to making a Tony Spicer bend brake.

Peter
peter anson

Postby Onex107 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:01 pm

Mine was violating all the safety rules by wearing a ring while doing electrical work. I was tightening the nut on the battery cable connection on the master solenoid. The ground was still connected. A ring on my right ring finger contacted the edge of the fire wall making the circuit complete. I one second the ring was red hot. I burned my other hand trying to get the ring off and ended up with a third degree burn around my ring finger. The scar is still a reminder to always remove the battery ground wire first, before you start a wiring job, and replace it last after you finish.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby dbdevkc » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:17 am

I have had so many cuts and bruises I nicknamed my project "The Phlebotomist".
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby n307tw » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:13 pm

I reluctantly will share that when I started my fuselage I incorrectly drilled the inspection hole on not only the left but right side. I forgot about the little detail that you need to orient the skin based on the pilot holes. Rather than replacing the skins I now have two inspection plates per side. No structural issue there just a huge blow to my ego. Still building so I’m sure I’ll make some more stupid mistakes. If the DAR asks about the extra inspection holes, I’ll just say I meant to install them...for safety of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

Postby mfazio » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:08 pm

Thank you! I feel much better knowing I’m not the only one who has donated several pints to the cause. They weren’t joking about blood, sweat and tears.

Had to build that darn turtledeck spline 3 times! So infuriating when it is such an easy assembly. Doh!

Still building so more pints and do-overs......

Mike Fazio
Waiex #63

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mfazio

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion