How much power does cold air induction add?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: How much power does cold air induction add?

Postby bvolcko38 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:38 am

I have posted on this topic previously. And I will say it again and I say these with retrospect. Top mount oil cooler, no "smile" below prop in cowl.
The only induction air available to my setup was preheated by cooling the engine. I could not figure out why the engine would not run right. Skipped, rough, quit with no restart... I finally put some cheap thermocouples from Amazon inside the engine compartment. One on the carb throat, one on the gascolator and one at the air filter. Carb throat temps were near 150F gascolator 120F
I put a small NACA inlet 3" in front of the air cleaner. Carb temp went from 150F to 50F Engine runs like a bear now. No burps, no skipping
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby tps8903 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:41 pm

Another data point

I had cold air induction from day one. I could pull 42" MAP easily and never dared to push the throttle all the way in (aftermarket wastegate spring). I took cold air induction out as part of trying to optimize overall cooling, on take off full throttle was 39" due to the warm air in the cowling. Once I got some airflow in there after take off I could then pull over 40" again. That was a larger decrease than I expected.

I have the induction NACA temporarily blocked, and the smile is also plugged. I have 1 NACA as a blast tube on the firewall accessories.

Goal is to add more exit via B Model side vents with a deflector lip, then open up the smile and/or add the cold air induction back.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby BRS » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:10 am

Funny....

This morning I was scanning the headings of today's posts when I mis-read the one above as....

"How much power does air conditioning add?"

Had to do a double take. Ha AC in a sonex.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:30 pm

When we say "turn on the air conditioning" means open the canopy. Either for taxi with the right seater holding it open a crack or when we shut down. Conversely turning on the heat is closing the canopy, especially in winter.

It's on my list for annual to add cold air induction. I plan to bring it in, go over the fuel line, then to the air filter. Besides performance, I hate the stumbles on the ground when it's thoroughly heat soaked.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby tps8903 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:58 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:When we say "turn on the air conditioning" means open the canopy. Either for taxi with the right seater holding it open a crack or when we shut down. Conversely turning on the heat is closing the canopy, especially in winter.

It's on my list for annual to add cold air induction. I plan to bring it in, go over the fuel line, then to the air filter. Besides performance, I hate the stumbles on the ground when it's thoroughly heat soaked.

The back of my fire wall is probably as hot as it can get with the turbo in there. I got rid of my Gascolator and ran a straight line. Wrapped it in adhesive back Thermo Shield heat deflector tape. Then wrapped it with that adhesive gold foil heat deflector. It hit 104F in Central Florida this summer, and I went for a flight with Turbo and all, not one hiccup. There is no way in my estimation to make it hotter back there, except maybe venturing over to Arizona or Death Valley.

I will probably reinstall the cold air induction however. Now that I have side vents, I'm going to see how the engine performs with generic NACA vent and front smile hole open and go from there. I'll move my cowl ambient temp gauge over to the aerocarb and get a temp reading in the filtered side.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:32 am

Chris,
For me the hard part is:
1) do pattern work
2) pull up to the pump, and heat soak

Usually runs like crap after that, if it's hot out. If it's hot and I just fly around, no problem.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby pappas » Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:15 pm

"There is no way in my estimation to make it hotter back there, except maybe venturing over to Arizona or Death Valley."

You're right Chris, so come on over here. No problem for us to beat 104 deg!
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby Onex107 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:26 am

In my Onex I found that after a heat soak, even while taxiing, the aeroinjector itself was getting hot enough to cause vaporing at the slide valve. A cooling tube directly on the unit kept the alum from getting hot and prevented it. It was like day and night after the addition of the cooling.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Previous

Return to General Discussion