Axle/Wheel Nut Tightness

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Axle/Wheel Nut Tightness

Postby Spaceman » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:55 pm

I still need to drill my axles for the cotter pins, but I can't tell if I've tightened the axle nuts the correct amount. The plans say "tighten nut until bearings are snug and a light drag is felt while spinning the wheel." Is there any way to quantify that? Do you just tighten until there's no side-to-side play and then maybe a little bit more? That's about where I'm at but wanted to check.

Thanks!
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Re: Axle/Wheel Nut Tightness

Postby n307tw » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:16 pm

You should be able to turn the wheel and it stops relatively quickly (within a full revolution). If you spin the wheel and it keeps turning it’s probably too loose. That’s probably the best way I used to quantify what Sonex was trying to explain.
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

Postby mike.smith » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:50 pm

I have had to use large diameter washers (ID of the axle/OD of the bearings) of varying thicknesses to get the friction right. Since even small turns of the large nut covers a fair bit of distance when locating the large cotter pin, it's tough to get the right friction without some trial and error with washers. Note, I have also needed these washers on the inside face of the wheel to keep the wheel away from the Sonex hydraulic brake assembly, so the wheels don't scrape the hydraulic brake body.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby DCASonex » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:29 am

Just a reminder, but as been mentioned here before, make 100% sure your bearing seats are fully seated in the wheels, or they will soon loosen, the wheels wobble, and the seats may need to be further seated to the extent that your nicely drilled cotter pin holes are now too far out on the axle.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby radfordc » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:19 pm

My Dad taught me how on my 53 Ford sedan. Tighten the nut until the wheel won't turn...this ensures the bearings are fully seated. Then loosen the castle nut until the wheel just starts to turn freely. Find the nearest position of the nut that allows the cotter pin to fit.
radfordc

Postby Scott Todd » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:04 pm

I was also taught to gently snug it down and then back it off. DON'T crank hard on it. I was told you could flat spot the bearings. But as a retired engineer, I now know it would take quite a bit to flat spot a hardened steel bearing, roller or ball. But still, snug it down and then back off until cotter key lines up :)
Scott Todd

Postby Spaceman » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:32 am

Awesome thanks guys!
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:21 pm

DCASonex wrote:Just a reminder, but as been mentioned here before, make 100% sure your bearing seats are fully seated in the wheels, or they will soon loosen, the wheels wobble, and the seats may need to be further seated to the extent that your nicely drilled cotter pin holes are now too far out on the axle.

David A.

Here's another tip - check them after an hour or two of flight. My aerobrakes were acting up, and I found the wheels were both loose.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to General Discussion