Sonex High Wing!

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Sonex High Wing!

Postby fastj22 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:59 pm

Matt541 wrote:
mhamilton31 wrote:
Matt541 wrote:As much as I would like to see that happen too, Mark was clear that the 2 place jet is coming out before the high wing for multiple reasons.

I may have some videos coming out shortly on that and more... (Thanks Mark!)

Interesting...Love your vids btw...

Thanks! I've been trying to put a lot more effort into them lately.

fastj22 wrote:looking at the new pix, there's a wing seam just outboard of the fuselage about where the onex joint is. I bet that's where the panels come off. Now will Sonex do the right thing and make it simple and toolless to detach them? Or will it take 2 men and a boy to pull them? I'm thinking a single lever like the onex to pull the pins and some sort of cart/dolly to hold and store the panel. Like this http://www.imi-gliding.com/products/one ... ystem.html

Automatic control hookups like the onex paddles.

Nice call outs! Thanks.
We need to tell Sonex our wants now so they at least know what is important to us.
Easily removed and installed wing sections would be HUGE! And I think a big marketing bonus.

I hope this at least partially answered your question on the wing sections @20:30.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby fastj22 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:00 pm

Matt541 wrote:
mhamilton31 wrote:
Matt541 wrote:As much as I would like to see that happen too, Mark was clear that the 2 place jet is coming out before the high wing for multiple reasons.

I may have some videos coming out shortly on that and more... (Thanks Mark!)

Interesting...Love your vids btw...

Thanks! I've been trying to put a lot more effort into them lately.

fastj22 wrote:looking at the new pix, there's a wing seam just outboard of the fuselage about where the onex joint is. I bet that's where the panels come off. Now will Sonex do the right thing and make it simple and toolless to detach them? Or will it take 2 men and a boy to pull them? I'm thinking a single lever like the onex to pull the pins and some sort of cart/dolly to hold and store the panel. Like this http://www.imi-gliding.com/products/one ... ystem.html

Automatic control hookups like the onex paddles.

I hope this at least partially answered your question on the wing sections @20:30.

Nice call outs! Thanks.
We need to tell Sonex our wants now so they at least know what is important to us.
Easily removed and installed wing sections would be HUGE! And I think a big marketing bonus.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby WaiexN143NM » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:04 am

hi all,
Thanks for the nice video matt with mark schaible from sonex on the new high wings.
john gillis said it best, offer any suggestions that the builders would love to see.
possibly be incorporated into the design.
i’ll offer 3
1) possibly bigger aux tanks ea side, 10 gal?
2) cnc machined final hole size parts
3) differential brakes

i’ll let the rest of you chime in. put you thinking caps on. let mark sharpen his pencil and work some magic.

WaiexN143NM
Michael.
WaiexN143NM

Postby Matt541 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:41 am

More on the High Wing as a backcountry/ bush plane:

That's all I have on the High Wing, my next vids will be segments from the full interview with Mark discussing everything else going on at Sonex.
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby Matt541 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:00 pm

WaiexN143NM wrote:hi all,
Thanks for the nice video matt with mark schaible from sonex on the new high wings.
john gillis said it best, offer any suggestions that the builders would love to see.
possibly be incorporated into the design.
i’ll offer 3
1) possibly bigger aux tanks ea side, 10 gal?
2) cnc machined final hole size parts
3) differential brakes

i’ll let the rest of you chime in. put you thinking caps on. let mark sharpen his pencil and work some magic.

WaiexN143NM
Michael.

Definitely, but as Mark said in the "Backcountry" video, they can't accommodate every request. But now's the time to do it!

1. Larger capacity fuel tanks are a great option for the right person and mission. With the center wing sections, I wonder how easy it would be to access/ upgrade the tanks if needed...
2. They are investing in new machining capability, no idea if this on the list yet.
3. Absolutely! Would be great to have that as an option, I would feel safer in some of the "bush" strips I fly into with differential brakes. This can be done now of course, but not factory supported yet. If I recall from others you then have to go to a traditional/ breakaway tailwheel? Would be cool to see what Sonex could come up with as a factory option. (As it is now, 541 is unable to turn around on the fuel pad at my local strip and end up going through the grass. But it's also easy enough to just pick up the tail one handed and turn it...)

(I know most people here know these points, but I added my thoughts for the new eyes the High Wing is bringing here.)

Adding a few more:

4. I know there's currently 2 different wing tip designs for the High Wing, like the OneX and Xenos. I would like to see a winglet or droop version like the Allen Flight design, without having to cut the wing.
Maybe the added surface area of the planned extended tips makes a new design unnecessary?

5. Maybe a Horton or Sportsman STOL style wing cuff? Actually, while good, the Sportsman style does drop cruising speed over the the Horton. I flown identical 182s, with and without the wing cuffs and it absolutely makes a difference in bush style approaches. (But I know this would be a "unicorn" request.)
Matt541

Postby GraemeSmith » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:13 pm

In all the "what if'ing" and "wishes" - remember it has to make the current LSA limits of:

Maximum stall speed - 40knots
Maximum speed - 120 knots
Maximum Gross - 1320lbs.

And while there are interminable press articles about new bigger weight limits "just around the corner" with new LSA specifications - they have been "just around the corners" for quite a few years and counting.

So I'm not surprised that Sonex are aiming at 1,320lbs at this time.

Note the minimum hp of 100 - needed to get the power loading into an acceptable spot with that 1,320 maximum gross.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Stu AI7AN » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:47 pm

This High Wing design looks like a home run! Was strongly considering acquiring a Sonex kit within the next 12 months, but will I now decide to wait? Tempting, because I REALLY prefer high wing, particularly when it has a green house window above. I may not be quite that patient, but it remains tempting.

My PLEA to Sonex would be to make weight allowance for the Corvair power plant. I would still likely respectfully pursue it regardless in whatever version I wind up with, but this would be the perfect opportunity to incorporate the ability to do so with factory blessing. For my preferences this High Wing would seem to be as close to experimental perfection as could possibly be achieved.

Stu (N. Central Idaho)
Stu Bryant, Kamiah, ID
Stu AI7AN

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:43 pm

hi all,
I’d like to add a 4th request. with the gross wt now to 1320, maybe an up grade to the fwf wt to 250?
this would allow for a cont. O200 w accessories. randy auburg beat me to this request. also another just mentioned
a corvair. more engine choices would be great. at least a mount.
Dont know if the new mosaic rules which will define lsa that come out in 2022 will change the proposed design.
time will tell.

WaiexN143NM
Michael.
WaiexN143NM

Postby killerfish72 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:52 am

I'm personally good with 30 gallons total (2x5gallon wing tanks + 20g fuse tank). What I really want is a clean, well documented FWF installation for Rotax 912is and if I'm greedy, a 915is.

Would love differential brakes as well.
killerfish72

Postby Matt541 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:21 pm

killerfish72 wrote:I'm personally good with 30 gallons total (2x5gallon wing tanks + 20g fuse tank). What I really want is a clean, well documented FWF installation for Rotax 912is and if I'm greedy, a 915is.

Would love differential brakes as well.

So I have another (multiple in fact) video coming out discussing the 2022 One Week Wonder where they'll be using the 912is. That project will no doubt streamline the process and provide lessons learned to be added to future products.

But this video from Bryan at the Experimental Aircraft Channel touches on that in case you missed it:

(The 912is bit starts at 10:46, but the forum doesn't like the timestamp link. Whole video is worth watching of course.)
Matt541

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion