Sonex High Wing!

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Sonex High Wing!

Postby kuhtenia » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:33 pm

<< I wish the plane was designed primarily around the Rotax engine... >>

As one of those watching the high wing development with interest, one particular reason is that the prototype is going to be using a UL Power engine. As a modern-but-still-air-cooled platform, the UL Power option might just represent a really great fit for those of us not particularly interested in the AeroVee/Jabiru choices. And with the factory having sorted out the UL Power FWF details, the builder should have a reasonably clear path to follow.

Hmm, I might just have to go to Oshkosh this year!
kuhtenia

Postby Eric W » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:13 pm

I don't think I'd be building a Highwing in addition to my Sonex, but I sold the Sonex 11 years ago, and the Highwing meets two things I'd like in an airplane now:

1. Easier in and out. When I gave rides in the Sonex, I was always concerned that someone would step on the flap, or just fall off the airplane entirely. I would give rides to fairly senior people who may not be the most steady on the ground, and to get them in/out of a low wing - step over the flap, step over the side, lower yourself into the seat - just isn't super easy. It will be nice to open a large door (on each side!), sit down, and bring legs up and in. To this end, I'll probably go with a "Y" center stick, though I had dual sticks in the Sonex.

2. Shade - at a fly-in, it will be great to set a chair under the wing and enjoy the shade while people pass by and talk airplane stuff.

I'm really undecided about engines at this point. I had the 3300 in the Sonex and the biggest issue was stopping the oil cooler and oil cooler hoses leaking. That's not really an engine problem.

As for the gear, I'd be on-airport operations only, and if I wanted land-anywhere operations, this probably isn't the airplane (see Zenith, 750 series).

I think the wing center section setup is really clever - gets the entire extended-range fuel system installed without the wing outer panels. I think I"ll like having the view down and to the sides - I took a LOT of air-to-ground photos from the Sonex, and the low wing isn't the best for that.
Sonex 815, TD, dual stick (sold in 2013)
Jabiru 3300
Eric W

Postby BRS » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:02 am

Any updates on the HighWing?
Is there a projected availability?
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Eric W » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:35 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if there's something posted later on July 23rd (factory open house day), unless they're really trying to hold us in suspense until the 24th.
Jabiru 3300
Eric W

Postby grum.man » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:18 am

I'm getting excited at the thought of potentially seeing a prototype in 2ish weeks! Still a little bummed they didn't design it to accept a traditional aircraft engine. Rotax is about the only other brand I would consider but they aren't aerobatic so not a good fit for my wishes. Offer a taller gear and the option to run an O235 and I'm all in.
grum.man

Postby grum.man » Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:27 pm

Bummer, just saw the press release saying they will not have the prototype at Airventure.
grum.man

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:40 pm

grum.man wrote:Bummer, just saw the press release saying they will not have the prototype at Airventure.

What press release?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Eric W » Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:51 pm

I got it via email, so maybe only sent to subscribers of the Highwing updates. It looks like a page from the "Hornets' Nest", but it's not posted to the Highwing page there.

They emphasize working through supply chain issues to keep current customers supplied with parts & kits, as well as meeting the commitments of the Uncrewed Aircraft Systems side of the business, while also continuing to work additional analysis and structural testing of the new high-wing fuselage. I'm sure it will be a great product when they're ready.
Jabiru 3300
Eric W

Postby Eric W » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:50 pm

I did the factory tour when I was at Airventure last week. There didn't appear to be anything for the Highwing in metal yet, at least not that they spoke of. They did speak to pretty much all of the parts and airframes in progress - the unmanned/drone being built, a Jet quickbuild, the 2-place jet, etc. They did have a rendering of the Highwing on display at one of their CAD stations. I don't know enough about it to say if there were any differences or changes from earlier information. It did look pretty complete on the screen - main thing that I could see to add would be maybe some composite fairings between the inboard end of the flap and the top of the fuselage.
Jabiru 3300
Eric W

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:53 pm

In light of the current troubles over at Vans, I think a slow rollout is not a bad thing.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion