Sonex High Wing!

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Sonex High Wing!

Postby BobDz » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:55 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:In light of the current troubles over at Vans, I think a slow rollout is not a bad thing.

Ditto
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Postby dboeshaar » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:58 pm

BobDz wrote:
Bryan Cotton wrote:In light of the current troubles over at Vans, I think a slow rollout is not a bad thing.

Ditto

But the grief at Van's is really not directly related to development. Bad primer, bad laser holes and supply chain grief is the trifecta of this disaster.
Sonex does not have this grief, right?

Dkb
==============================================================
David Boeshaar
KWHP
TDAIRCRAFT.COM
My Greatest Fear: What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
==============================================================
dboeshaar

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:14 am

dboeshaar wrote:
But the grief at Van's is really not directly related to development. Bad primer, bad laser holes and supply chain grief is the trifecta of this disaster.
Sonex does not have this grief, right?

Dkb

Of course I have no clue as to what is going on. Either at Sonex or Vans. I get the feeling when I hear Sonex folks speak that they have enough irons in the fire and are trying not to overextend themselves. Not just now, but for several years. My hypothesis is that the issues at Vans are not just divine intervention, but there must have been some bad choices made. How do you make bad choices? In my own industry I have seen it happen when you are trying to do too much, too quickly, with not enough people.

Hopefully Vans bounces back. They are a great company, great airplanes, and a huge legacy. The homebuilt aircraft industry is small enough that it hurts to lose anybody. Here's hoping that Sonex stays strong and weathers whatever comes.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:13 am

I see that High Wing (HW) has a max take-off weight (MTOW) of almost 600kg. (13223 lb)

This is great, as here in Australia that has been the MTOW for Recreational Aircraft Australia (RAA) registered aircraft, for many years.

My Sonex has a MTOW of only 522 kg (1151 lb) which makes it very marginal as a 2 person aircraft. A lot of fuel must be left out, making the aircraft only good for a 2 person, short local flight ie very poor/nil X country capability.

I asked Sonex for un upgrade to 600 kg (non aerobatic) specifically so that I could tour with wife/friend - was flat refused.

BUT

RAA has recently moved towards a MTOW of 760 kg (1676 lb) - Sonex HW needs to consider a higher MTOW if they want to stay competitive.
Skippydiesel

Postby Scott Todd » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:20 am

A typical Sonex weighs about 650 pounds. That leaves 500 for useful load. 16 gallons of fuel is 3 hours and around 400 miles for the Little JAB or AeroVee. This leave 400 for people. These are comparable to a Cessna 150. Slimming down to 2 hours range and 250 miles yields another 50 pounds for 'Well Conditioned' people. This seems more 'normal' than 'marginal'.

I think the High Wing will exceed these numbers which should make it quite competitive in the market.
Scott Todd

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:50 am

I agree with Scott, with the caveat that my Aerovee is slower (100 kts) and burns less gas (4gph). Of course if you have added enough extra stuff to exceed 700 lbs empty, it's a different scenario. For long XC trips I ship my baggage UPS to be able to carry more gas. Haven't done any long solo XC yet but that would leave tons of payload.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:47 pm

Scott Todd wrote:A typical Sonex weighs about 650 pounds. That leaves 500 for useful load. 16 gallons of fuel is 3 hours and around 400 miles for the Little JAB or AeroVee. This leave 400 for people. These are comparable to a Cessna 150. Slimming down to 2 hours range and 250 miles yields another 50 pounds for 'Well Conditioned' people. This seems more 'normal' than 'marginal'.

I think the High Wing will exceed these numbers which should make it quite competitive in the market.

Your Sonex empty weight is aspirational, once you go past a very basic Aerovee powered Sonex.

My Sonex Legacy/Rotax 912ULS/Airmaster CS/wing tanks (100L) - tops the scales at 340kg (750lb) - result! it's basically a single seater. Increasing the MTW (non aerobatic) to 600kg would change this.
Skippydiesel

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:12 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:
Your Sonex empty weight is aspirational, once you go past a very basic Aerovee powered Sonex.

My Sonex Legacy/Rotax 912ULS/Airmaster CS/wing tanks (100L) - tops the scales at 340kg (750lb) - result! it's basically a single seater. Increasing the MTW (non aerobatic) to 600kg would change this.

I thought my Waiex was heavy - currently at 673 lbs. Would be interested to know how much of the 77 lbs delta between our aircraft is engine.

IIRC the 3300 weighs the same as the Aerovee.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby peterp » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:50 pm

Bryan,
I don't think it's the engine, the Rotax power legacy I built was 295 kgs or 650 lbs
peterp

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:59 pm

peterp wrote:Bryan,
I don't think it's the engine, the Rotax power legacy I built was 295 kgs or 650 lbs

I am the finisher/completer of this Sonex/Rotax; Features that may contribute to its high empty weight:

30L x2 wing tanks & associated plumbing, fuel level sensors, fuel transfer pump + 40 L header tank in standard Sonex location.
    Airmaster CS 3 blade propeller
    Comprehensive anti corrosion undercoat - DeSoto & Alodine
    Anti oil canning/noise insulation throughout
    Leather covered seat cushions
    HD baggage compartment
    Wheel pants by Sonex(?)
    Goodyear Flight Custom III 5.00-5 6 ply tyres
    Toe brakes
    Aviation Products tailwheel
    Homemade engine cowling
Skippydiesel

PreviousNext