Sonex High Wing!

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Sonex High Wing!

Postby Curry Matherne » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:21 pm

Floats ????
Curry Matherne

Postby ASDomenighi » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:14 am

I really want to congratulate @Mark Schaible for the high wing initiative. This is a great addition to the Sonex family. I am really interest to start it as soon as possible.

I will share that my main request, for a cross country, as other have have in previous posts, is to have a 20 gal + 2 aux tanks ea side, 10 gal each !!! 40 gal total !!!

Another important request for a cruizer is to have more panel space !!

I am really interest on MW Fly engines ( https://youtu.be/15OPHJ3i_V0 ). Does any one had look on this engines ?

Does anyone know if Sonex will have any event for possible buyers of the High Wing Kit to discuss the new project ?
ASDomenighi

Postby AstroAussie » Mon May 02, 2022 1:49 am

ASDomenighi wrote:I really want to congratulate @Mark Schaible for the high wing initiative. This is a great addition to the Sonex family. I am really interest to start it as soon as possible.

I will share that my main request, for a cross country, as other have have in previous posts, is to have a 20 gal + 2 aux tanks ea side, 10 gal each !!! 40 gal total !!!

I am really interest on MW Fly engines ( https://youtu.be/15OPHJ3i_V0 ). Does any one had look on this engines ?

Does anyone know if Sonex will have any event for possible buyers of the High Wing Kit to discuss the new project ?

as nice as that would be, I think it would be impossible! The very first post has some blurry numbers but it says max weight is 598 kg (1318 lbs) and an empty weight of 326 kg (718 lbs). at 40 gallons (480 lbs/217kg @ 6 ppg) that doesn't leave much weight for you! unless those numbers change or something. But full release will tell!
AstroAussie

Postby dboeshaar » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:19 pm

Well, the Van's RV-15 is in the air!
High wing, non-cantilever wing, beautiful sounding aircraft. Little details, but the prototype is air born! See the You Tube Video.

I know Sonex Aircraft is working hard on the 2 seater jet, and progress will be seen at Air Venture.

But how many 2- seater jets do you think will be sold? a few for sure.

BUT

How many high wing Sonex will be sold? MANY!!!

I think EAA should do a survey about high wing experimental aircraft. Surely back-country high wings are out there, but NOTHING like a high wing Sonex!

I just retired, and ready to see the next generation of Sonex Aircraft!

Dkb
dboeshaar

Postby ASDomenighi » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:18 pm

The HighWing Fuselage is 4 inches wider than B-Model and the engine cowling will be at least wider on the firewall. The aircraft will allow up to 130HP engines instead of the up to 100HP engines of B-Model ! How can Sonex allow only the same 200lbs forward weight ??!! Most of the engines of 100HP to 130HP installations will have a total installed weight of more than 200lbs with propeller, battery, cowling, etc. !!! Is necessary to have a forward allowance weight higher !!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5340543 ... 515871474/
ASDomenighi

Postby grum.man » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:53 pm

Just joined the site to keep tabs on the High Wing progress. Sure wish they would get something to the market soon. To add to the wish: Taller stiffer landing gear for better propeller selection. More engine choices other than VW. Seems UL is a natural and most obvious fit and probably the only aerobatic option. That's about it, otherwise it seems like a perfect fit for my mission of fun flyer for grass fields and aerobatics.
grum.man

Postby gmonnig » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:38 pm

AstroAussie wrote:
ASDomenighi wrote:I really want to congratulate @Mark Schaible for the high wing initiative. This is a great addition to the Sonex family. I am really interest to start it as soon as possible.

as nice as that would be, I think it would be impossible! The very first post has some blurry numbers but it says max weight is 598 kg (1318 lbs) and an empty weight of 326 kg (718 lbs). at 40 gallons (480 lbs/217kg @ 6 ppg) that doesn't leave much weight for you! unless those numbers change or something. But full release will tell!

40gal of fuel is only 240lbs. That leaves 360lbs for people and bags. That’ll still lift me and my wife with small bags.
gmonnig

Postby Matt541 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:01 pm

It's February 2023 and we've got a pretty massive update on the new High Wing (now Highwing) from this webinar with Mark and Charlie. In case you missed it:

I made a quick review video the night it aired to share some of my takeaways from it. But I couldn't spoil all of Mark's surprises.

Who wants to build one?
E-AB or LSA?
Center or dual stick?
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:17 am

Not wanting to be Debbie Downer here but pretty much every part of this looks to be a re-dimensioned version of all the existing designs.
My point is, my Waiex isn't and off airport type of aircraft and neither are the other Sonex designs. Wheels, tires, landing gear design are all very limiting factors to booney bashing.
I've boinked wheelpants, and dragged half the available grass on a field home with me on occasion.
One look at the high wing design shows me none of these factors has been substantially changed to make it more off field capable. It's still and "airport" kind of plane. That is not a reason "not" to build one if your starting from ground zero. If you already have a standard Sonex or Waiex, I hardly see the point.
Not enough "beef" here to justify moving a wing from bottom to top. It's different, but not. That's just me.
Lastly and here goes the hand grenade; I wish the plane was designed primarily around the Rotax engine. Till the engine matter gets resolved every Sonex built is always going to sell for considerably less than it costs to build the aircraft. AeroVee's have their strengths and weaknesses and so do the Jabiru/Camit series.
I can tell you honestly from my experiences that buying engines that are "cheaper" but don't get anywhere near the hours of operation between overhaul of something like the Rotax is a false arguement for their purchase. Again, an observation based on experience.
They work but are not better in any way, they're just cheaper.

Larry Engert
Waiex121YX, 949 hrs, Gen 2 3300 and Camit 3300 for last 510 hrs.
Recent purchase of Onex 752MR, AeroVee/Force One crank and hub. Purchased as project plane due to hard landing and squished gear.
LarryEWaiex121

Postby N111YX » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:48 pm

^^^ All great points, Larry^^^.

I've had some interest in the SH in the past few months as it's growing on me a bit. One main reason is that I'm familiar with the building process and I miss working with 6061. It would be fun to have something similar but different and the SH seems just enough. Everyone needs a backup airplane anyway.

Mine would not have wheel pants but larger tires to handle landing at my envisioned 3000' grass Airpark property, no need for super STOL.

As for engines, I like the muscle and simplicity of the Jabiru and mine have treated me well but I hear what you are saying on the Rotax angle. A friend of mine is replacing all of the rubber on his right now as well as a gearbox overhaul and that's not appealing but his Rotax runs like an electric motor the rest of the time.

I will need the dual stick and a serial number down the line as I don't want to deal with lots of plans revisions. I'll take SH0111!
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX